Chapter Twenty One

MIGS

"Migs, honey..." My eyes averted to Hazel as she walked towards me, her hips swaying gracefully with each step. She wore a bright smile on her face like a fine piece of jewelry.

It took me a back for a moment, my mouth gaping as I stood there in stunned silence. Realizing what I was doing, I straightened my back to regain composure. Hazel stopped in front of me and our eyes met each other. She still had on that smile on her face but I noticed how it didn't reach her eyes. Hazel had the most expressive eyes. She had eyes that said it all. There was a cold, dark look in her eyes that made me want to recoil

"Hazel..." My tone begging. At that moment, I didn't know what I wanted but I knew I was begging for something.

"You look handsome tonight as always." She smoothened my necktie and suit before tiptoeing to give me a kiss on the lips.

"Miguel," Her father followed after, holding a glass of champage in one hand. "Good to see you here, hijo."

Hazel hooked her arm around the crook of my elbow just as she always did and stood beside me. She squeezed my arm as though telling me to play along and act like we were happy couple in front of everyone.

"Great to see you too, Tito." I politely bowed my head in acknowledgement.

"You have to practice calling me Dad. You're already engaged to my daughter and soon you'll be my son-in-law." He playfully patted me on the elbow. "How is the whole wedding planning  thing going on?"

Hazel turned to face me, tension evident in even the simplest of her movement. "Dad, we didn't hire an organizer for nothing. Busy si Migs sa negosyo nila."

"The organizer shouldn't be expected to make the decision for everything. Kailangan kayong dalawa ang magplano kung saan gaganapin ang kasal, kung ano'ng theme, at kung sinu-sino ang iimbitahan niyo. It would be a good strategy to invite high-ranking officials to your wedding. We have to have good connections with the government. Mas mabuti kung kukunin niyo din silang ninong at ninang sa kasal." Tito Guillermo suggested.

"Of course, we'll take care of the areas that require our decisions. Sa ngayon, hayaan na muna natin ang organizers ang mag-asikaso ng lahat." Hazel answered.

"Very well. But I'm telling you now, you have a long list of guests we need to invite. They're all important people and you can't invite them on short notice. Mas mabuti kung maaga pa lang ay magpamigay na kayo ng invitations." He lifted his glass up to his lips and took a small sip. 

"Yes, Dad." Hazel said in a small voice.

I would've wanted a small, intimate wedding with only our closest family and friends. Hazel and I had never really talked about who we'd invite but I would've preferred it that way. Tito Guillermo started talking about his next project when a friend came up to him. He excused himself to talk with his friend, much to our relief. 

Hazel let out a deep, tired huff when we were finally left alone. Her hold loosened around my arm and her shoulders slumped down. 

"Hazel, let's talk..." My voice came out in a croak. "I've... I've been trying to reach out to you. You've had me banned from your office and condominium, you don't answer my calls and messages."

"What else is there to say?" There was a tone of resignation in her voice that made my heart sink.   

She grabbed a glass of champage from a passing server and headed towards the balcony. Sinundan ko siya at tahimik kaming tumayo doon. She was looking pensively up the dark sky as she leaned against the railing. I didn't know what to tell her or what I should do. I feel so broken and unworthy just standing next to her right now.