Chapter Twenty Three

MIGS

"Hey." I smiled when the door opened and I saw Saskia standing in front of me. I held in my hands a paper bag with all her favorite food in it. I bought her hopia, kalamay, and of course karioka. She didn't like the last karioka I bought for her so I had to go to her old place to buy from that woman she was talking about. This time, I was wise enough to leave my car at nearby building  while I looked for Saskia's favorite karioka vendor. And of course, I also bought her fruits and maternity milk to keep our baby healthy. "I brought you something."

"Nako! Hindi ka na sana nag-abala." She opened the door wider and took the paper bag from my hand. "Halika, pasok ka. Nanonood lang kami dito sa salas."

Her family was sitting on the couch in front of the TV. Yuka and Cosme said a quick hi to me before turning their attention back to the screen.

"What are you watching?" I asked.

"Yung ano... ano ba yan, Mammy? Miss Congenital?" She asked.

"Ano'ng Miss Congenital? Miss Congenital heart disease? Ms. Congeniality, gaga!" Her Ninang rolled his eyes.

"Yun nga. Ano bang sabi ko?" She frowned at him. "Kumain ka na ba? May natira pa kaming tanghalian, nagluto lang ako ng de latang corned beef. Tara, pasok ka."

We walked into the house and went to the kitchen where she'd put the paper bag on the table. She shifted, turning to me and leaning against the table. "Ang aga natin ngayon, ah. Wala kang pasok sa opisina?"

"Saturday kasi ngayon at wala akong masyadong meeting." I smiled at her, mindlessly putting my hands on her waist. "Dumaan ako sa Tondo kanina, hinanap ko yung nagtitinda ng karioka na gustong-gusto mo."

"Migs, maraming gago din baka akala mo. Paano kung napahamak ka? Nakita mo yung nangyari sa kotse mo noon. Sinimot lahat, yung katawan na lang ang itinira. Mukha ka pa naman mayaman, baka umiwi kang naka-brief ka na lang. Isa pa, nagpapatayan na nga dun eh. Tinotokhang na yung mga adik, paano kung madamay ka?" Her face crumpled in disapproval.

"Hey, nothing happened. I'm still here. I got out safe and sound." I chuckled and lifted my hands up to cup her face. "You worry too much. That's not good for the baby. Alam mo ba na nararamdaman niya ang lahat ng nararamdaman mo."

"Bakit ka pa kasi pumunta doon? Huwag mo nang uulitin yun." She said, her voice softer this time. 

"I thought you didn't like the ones I brought the other day." 

"Okay naman, sabi ko lang kulang sa tamis." She said, still wearing a frown. "Kung gusto mo pang maabutan maipanganak itong anak mo, huwag ka nang babalik sa lugar na iyon."

I let out a chuckle. "Hindi na po mauulit. Now don't get too worked up. Baka paglabas ni baby nakasimangot din parang si Mommy."

"Ikaw kasi naman kasi..." She mumbled.

"Huwag ka nang magalit. Binilhan na nga kita ng sweets at ng fruits." I gently said, softly caressing her cheeks. Then I lowered my gaze to her slightly protruding stomach and knelt down. "Is my baby hungry? I brought you lots of food."

"Thanks you, Daddy." She said, combing her fingers through my hair.

"May milk din akong binili kay Mommy para pag labas mo, you'll be a very healthy baby. When you get out of Mommy's tum-tum, you'll get to play with Cookie and Arthur." I said, caressing her  belly.

"Sino yun?" She asked, curiously.

"Our baby's cousins." I looked up at her, smiling. "Gustong-gusto ko na ipakilala ang baby natin sa pamilya ko, Saskia."