Chapter Forty One

MIGS

I woke up with only one of the twins cuddled against me. A soft smile etched across my lips when I looked down and saw Tintin's head pillowed on my chest. I kissed her on the forehead, stroking her golden hair. Her arms tightened around me and so I pulled her closer to me and inhaled the scent of her hair. She smelled of innocence and sweetness, a little sunshine with sweet tarts. 

I turned to my other side to check on Savi, only to find her cuddled to her mother. Saskia and Savi were facing each other, their arms wrapped around one another. How many times have I dreamt of a day like this? When I'd be able to give my daughter the complete family I'd always wanted for her. The existence of Tintin was an unexpected bonus. She brought a different kind of happiness in my life. 

I kissed each of my girls and couldn't help but stare at their mother. Saskia looked peaceful in her sleep as she cradled our daughter in her arms. I could only imagine what life would have been like had we never seperated years ago. I could have given my daughters the family they deserved. 

I softly grazed my hand against Saskia's cheek as I stared at her beautiful face. This woman was the woman who birthed my children. I wanted to hate myself for not listening to Saskia and letting my emotions get the best of me. Tintin wouldn't have had to grow up without me and Savi wouldn't have been without a mother for six years. She would've been my wife. 

"Migs?" Her eyes fluttered open.

"Good morning." Feeling embarrassed, I pulled my hand away.

"Kanina ka pa ba gising?" She asked, sitting up and looking down at our sleeping daughter. 

"Hindi naman. I woke up just a few minutes ago." I answered.

She bent her head down and showered her with kisses. "Ang ganda talaga ng mga anak natin. Kamukhang-kamukha mo."

"They had your beauty..." I quietly said as I watched her.

Nag-angat siya ng tingin sa akin. She gave me a slight smile. "Mas nagmana sila sa inyo. Lalo na doon sa kapatid mong si Drey. Siguro paglaki nilang dalawa kasing ganda sila ng Tita Drey nila. Migs, gusto ko pa lang magpasalamat sa'yo kasi hindi ka nahiyang ipakilala si Tintin at ang pamilya ko. Ang bait-bait nila sa amin lalo na sina ma'am Cassie at sir Phoenix."

"Of course, your family and my family are one now. Itong dalawang  ito ang habang-buhay na nagdudugtong sa akin sa'yo. You gave birth to the two most important girls in my life. As long as they're here, you and I will forever be connected. My family is their family and yours as well." I nipped her chin and made her look at me. "You are the mother of my children. You gave me the greatest gifts anyone could ever give me."

My eyes lowered down to her  lips. They were naturally pink and plump. I thanked God for giving me the privilege to taste those perfect lips. I had already kissed her twice since we'd met again and I didn't think I'd ever get enough of it. My head began to move towards hers and she stared at me, her lips parting in a curious awe.

"M-migs..." She pulled her head away just as I was about to kiss her. She then shook her head and let out a deep sigh. "Mali ito. Hindi dapat natin ito ginagawa. Hanggang sa mga bata na lang sana ang responsibilidad mo. Mas mabuti siguro kung magiging magkaibigan na lang tayo."

My shoulder sagged at what she said.  It was as if my hopes of building a family with her and our daughters came crushing down. She had indeed grown not only as a mother but as a woman as well. I wanted to be proud of her and what she had become now but at the same time, I was mourning for the Saskia I used to know. The Saskia who loved without any inhibitions. Amazing how life experiences and maturity can change a person.