7 ¦ Fateful Fight

That afternoon, I took a hot bath and debated with myself over whether I should attend Peter's gathering. I couldn't help it if he was my tutor, but I could decide to forgo a political rally.

Should I team up with the Defenders and break my promise to Bragda? Or should I knuckle down and hit the books?

I had so much work to catch up on for all three classes. But my curiosity kept eating away at me.

Peter said we were all in danger. What if I found out some useful intel for Bragda? What if I could help our country? She pledged to keep me safe, but what if it was my turn to help?

Fine, I'll go. What do I have to lose? It's just one gathering. Maybe I'll finally get some answers.

With a contented sigh, I climbed out of the tub and dried myself off with a fuzzy towel. The door creaked, signaling Bragda's return from combat training.

"Hurry up, sis! I feel like someone has beaten every inch of my body, and I need a bath," she said with a sigh as she slumped into her chair. "Where in Hades are you going?"

"Nowhere."

"Bullshit! Don't lie."

"I'm not--"

"You haven't taken out your fancy dress satchel in forever," she said with a groan. "Come on, out with it. Where are you headed?"

"Never mind, Mother," I hissed in reply.

"Don't you have work to catch up on?"

"I'll be back in an hour or so."

"Uh-huh."

With a sly smile, I smoothed my hands over my ankle-length, emerald-green velvet dress. It was fairly revealing attire, but it made me feel beautiful and confident even if no one else could see it. It felt daring. The world seemed no more than an ant in my palm, on the verge of being devoured by my fire.

"For chaff's sake, hurry up!" Bragda shouted outside the door.

"Just gimme a minute, stars above!"

With a little shimmy, I put on my stockings and my black leather granny boots. While I was weaving my hair into an elegant braid, I heard Bragda banging her fist on the desk and yelling.

"One more minute! Just a bit of patience, please," I said, rolling my eyes.

"Get out here right this fucking second, Liselle Carolina Alta!"

I finished the braid with a hair tie.

Ugh, what is it now?

Wrenching the bathroom door open, I gaped at a flurry of white paper fluttering through the air. Bragda turned to me, her face even redder than her hair.

"Where in Hades do you think you're going dressed like that?"

"What on Paxus is your problem, Bragda?" Realization struck, and a venomous fury burned inside me. "Is that...my invitation?"

"You bet your ass it is," she sneered. "You promised me, damn it. You promised not to see him."

"You went through my things? How dare you?"

"You're not going! Sit your butt down and catch up on your work."

"I beg your pardon, but I can go wherever I like."

"You just got out of the hospital." She folded her arms across her chest, her sapphire eyes flared in anger. "It ain't happening, certainly not with a Defender freak."