45 ¦ The War to End All Wars

Only one thing survived Lord Hesse's implosion. Among the ashes, I found an insignificant amulet.

It was just a simple amethyst crystal in a circular gold setting. The ornament resembled cheap jewelry purchased by tourists or traders at street markets all over Minningen. With a derisive snort, I stuffed it into my leather pouch as proof of the dark lord's death and thought nothing more of it.

Reaching under my black undergarment, I retrieved Peter's magic medallion. I wrapped my talons around it, and the blue gemstone began to pulse and thrum in response.

"Find Bragda Ironfist."

A strange tugging sensation pulled me away from the fields of Halden. With a thud, I dropped onto the far edge of the battlefield, expecting to hear either stunned silence or ecstatic jubilation.

But I gaped in silent confusion.

The clanging of weapons grew more intense as swarms of enemy Fighters rolled down the hills and onto the battlefield from all directions.

Killing the dark lord hadn't destroyed the Dragonborn army.

They'd quadrupled in strength.

This is impossible. I killed him. I saw it with my own eyes!

Dark clouds gathered into anvils, morphing into swirling tornadoes that slammed into the ground with an explosion that knocked any Fighters in its vicinity to the ground. The funnels gave birth to waves of new Dragonborn fighters that charged into the valley.

Endless waves of metal and iron.

Our Fireborn were surrounded. Outnumbered. Outmatched. And the closer I ran towards them, the more quickly the funnels spawned Dragonborn drones.

How can this be?

More funnels descended, creating dozens upon dozens of new fighters out of pure darkness. Enemy Warriors poured in from all sides like a maelstrom clustering around my men. I raced towards the center of the storm, shouting at the top of my lungs.

"Bragda! Peter!"

They were nowhere in sight.

My heart sank into my stomach as I desperately searched for my friends. My fellow Fireborn tumbled around me. Screams pierced the air from both sides as I fought my way towards my friends.

Something's wrong. What is it?

It hit me like a bolt of lightning. None of the Dragonborn were attacking me anymore. They simply gawked with horrified acquiescence as I slaughtered them one by one.

"Fight me!" I yelled. "Don't fight my men! Fight me, you cowardly bastards!"

"No, my Lord!" a Dragonborn yelled, shielding his face from my weapon. He made no attempt to protect himself and dropped his broadsword to the ground.

"Do it!" I brandished my broadsword. "Pick up your weapon and fight me!"

"Why are you killing your faithful servants, my Lord?"

"Faithful servants? Your army attacked my people!"

"If you don't want us to conquer Minningen, just send us back to Hades!"

"Are you insane?" I drew my sword to the Dragonborn's neck. "Halt this invasion at once! Bring me to your commander!"

The Dragonborn began to tremble. "But--but...you are the new commander."

What did he say?

My patience was growing thin. I dug the blade into the enemy's flesh. "You'd better make your next words count, or they will be your last!"