28 ¦ Journey to Castle Teufelwald

After a fitful sleep, I rose at first light thanks to Peter's caw. Knowing what fate had in store for me, my heart contorted with fear and regret. Once I'd freshened up, I slung my leather satchel over my brown traveler robes and headed to the Tree with the raven on my shoulders.

Before I left, I had to say goodbye to Her. Even though her gentle roots would connect me to Creation no matter where I lived, I would miss Her actual presence.

We'd gone through so much together these past few months.

Her electric-blue heart pulsed with regular thrums deep inside the wizened bark. I marveled at the beauty of Her broad branches covered in winter snow.

"I'm so sorry." I brushed my fingertips along Her trunk. "I never meant for this to happen."

She didn't reply, nestled in the slumber of winter's embrace.

My throat clenched so tightly that my next words came out in a choked whisper. "I love you, Mother."

"Come on, Liselle," Peter said. "We can't be late."

I gave a resolute nod even though my insides clenched with fear. It was time to face Father.

As the sun began to peek over the horizon, I passed several drunkards stumbling home from a long night at the pub. One came bumbling towards me, reeking of hard liquor and unwashed clothes.

"Hey, baby, you alone?"

I narrowed my eyes at him and opened my clenched fist. A little ball of ice fire danced on my palms, which made him sober up real quick. As soon as he'd spotted Peter on my shoulder, he backed away.

Superstitious folk believed ravens to be the harbingers of death.

"Go to Hades!"

"I'll say this only once, Rogue." I cupped the fire into a ball. "Turn around and walk away."

He sprinted in the opposite direction, tripping over his own feet.

"We make a good team," Peter whispered in my ear.

"We do indeed."

As I approached The Hungry Goblet, an empty black carriage stood nearby, drawn by four black steeds snorting in the cold. When I knocked at the front entrance, there was no reply. The temple bell chimed the eighth hour, but no one came out to greet me.

Icicles hung like stalactites from the roof of the dilapidated pub. Scurrying down the steps towards the side entrance, I tugged at the door handle, but it was locked as well.

Not a soul in sight.

I almost yelped when a nearby branch broke from the weight of the recent snowfall. Some nearby horses gave a few disgruntled snorts, and I made my way back towards the front.

My ragged breath rose in plumes.

I have a bad feeling about this.

The front door creaked open, and a human guard twice my size sauntered out of the front entrance. Huge as an oak. Dressed in black leather with copper plated anti-magic armor.

Damn. He's ready for a fight.

On his lapel, he wore the insignia of the Defenders. Highly skilled, brutal Warriors. Without sorcery, I didn't have any means of defending myself.

The guard glared at me with his legs in a wide stance. Unflappable. Uncompromising. Unyielding as he directed his icy stare towards me. Peter croaked and growled in protest.

"Liselle Carolina Alta?"

I nodded and took an involuntary step forward. The guard drew himself ramrod straight and flashed his Defender badge.