37 ¦ In Defense of Honor

After two weeks of intense combat training, our team met in front of the rehabilitation gymnasium for another twelve hours of strenuous training. Bragda gave me a playful punch when I saw her.

"Well, this is damned awkward," she growled. "I can't reach your shoulders anymore. Please tell me you're not going to grow anymore, or we'll never be able to build a home for you."

"I've finished growing. Father canceled my treatments early."

"Why?"

"I'm the leader." I furrowed my brow. "Can't have the leader be a mindless drone."

"He's such a bastard," she muttered. "Who forces his own flesh and blood to become a demon?"

We marched towards the changing rooms and began to change into our combat armor. Bragda uttered a string of Dwarvish curses as she laced up her braces.

"I swear I will break his neck," she said. "We can't get out of this creepy palace fast enough."

"At least no treatments means I won't barf on you during our training."

"You better not, wench!" Bragda said with a wry smile, giving my arm a playful jab.

I curled my lip in reply.

When we marched back out of the changing rooms, I was wearing standard issue full plate while Bragda had donned on thick studded leather. My heart swelled with pride when I saw her. Not even a month after her torture, she looked fierce and ready for training.

So strong. I want to be just like her.

"After a month of this practice, they won't recognize either of us," she said with a determined nod. "But it's gonna be one helluva month."

"You knew?" a loud, deep voice boomed across the gym.

Whipping my head towards the commotion, I saw Marcus holding back Alicia, her bluish-black skin and silver horns gleaming in the unnatural light. She strained against him, baring her fangs at me in a ferocious grimace.

I furrowed my brow. "What are you talking about?"

"Allie, don't!" Marcus said. "The Creator's lying to pull us apart!"

"Bullshit!" she roared as she strained against his grasp. "Weeks of training, Liselle. And you never once said we'd never be able to cast magic again, selfish wench!"

"Don't even think about it," Bragda said, wielding her ax to strike. "You come near my sister, and you'll leave here with an ax in your skull."

"You can't even reach my knee, you pathetic half-wit!" She directed her fiery gaze at me. "You ruined us! I was supposed to be a Risan Healer! I was supposed to cure people! The contract was a vile lie!"

My insides turned to slush.

"Father didn't tell me, Alicia. I found out by mistake, and I thought you already knew."

"Oh, I found out. Yesterday. When Marc came back with an ice whipping."

She ripped her arms from his grip, which shocked the Hades out of me. Clearly, Fireborn women had superior strength.

Good to know.

Before I could think, Alicia grabbed my throat, picked me up, and slammed me flat on my back onto the nearby mats. She sat on my torso and squeezed my throat. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't break her hold on me.

To my surprise, though, the intimidating gesture didn't feel like choking. It felt as innocuous as someone grabbing my arm.

"Listen to me carefully," she said. "Because you used to be my friend, I'll give you a week to make this right with your dear ol' Papa."