24 ¦ Demon Queen

I awoke on the forest floor, lying before the Tree of Life in a cold sweat. My robes were covered with dew, and the dawn was just starting to peak out along the horizon. I must have been asleep for hours.

Nearby, Seraphina was arguing with someone in an angry whisper. "I want to stay and protect you both," she insisted. "Minningen needs me."

"Go to Castle Eismark, Phina."

Peter's voice! I leaped to my feet. Oh, my gods! He's really back!

"You spy on the castle," she retorted. "You're a bird, after all."

"Father will know it's me. I need my new body before I can confront him."

"Liselle doesn't have the magical strength to transfer your soul into a new form."

"I believe in Liselle," Peter said. "And I believe in you."

She heaved a heavy sigh.

"Find out Father's attack strategy and inform us so we can tell the Ministry."

Seraphina crossed her arms as I entered the clearing where she was arguing with her brother. Peter ruffled his feathers and cawed when he saw me. He was a large, black raven. Just like the Tree had promised.

"How can I get word to you without Father intercepting my message?"

"I'm clairvoyant," I replied. "Tell us through one of my visions. If you don't make it too obvious, he'll never know you sent it."

"That might just work." Seraphina raised a quizzical eyebrow at me. "When I contact you, I'll appear as a Dragonborn make your medallion glow blue. All right, Liselle?"

I nodded.

"Clever," he replied. "That way we'll know it's a real vision and you aren't a Gatál spy."

"Time to face dear old Papa Wraith," she said in a facetious tone as she began to fade from view. "Take care, brother."

"Strength and honor, Seraphina."

Once she'd left, the raven flew to a nearby branch and cocked his head at me. "We need to speak to your father. He runs the Fireborn program and may know about the Lost Fireborn."

"Can we trust him?"

Peter paced on the branch. "It's a start," he replied. "Besides, we may be able to recruit some of his Warriors to save your sister."

"Father and I aren't exactly on speaking terms."

"You'd be surprised what families can forgive," he replied with a croak. "Father has killed both Phina and me three times. We've abolished Father's spirit more times than I can count."

My stomach churned with nerves. Father might forgive me out of his love for Bragda.

But at what price?

"Fine, but the Tree told us to find Alicia first," I said in a vain attempt to delay the inevitable. "Besides, she has the right to know her soulmate is still alive. Having another ally couldn't hurt."

"Right, let's go there first and make a plan."

Peter perched on my shoulder. In his deep, mellifluous Human voice, he said four words.

"Liselle, I've found you."

❄️🔥❄️🔥

Later that evening, I trudged through the dark streets of Minningen to meet Father, a small flame dancing in my palm to illuminate my way. Peter darted from tree to tree even though I'd asked him to stay in the dorm. He refused to let me face him alone.