25 ¦ Heart Blood

Since childhood, I'd always looked up to Father, but I'd never imagined seeing him like this. When he rose to greet me, he towered about three feet above me like a dark pillar of evil.

He extended his hand. I recoiled at the smooth, inhuman texture of his dark-blue snakeskin. If not for his eyes, I would never have recognized him.

"Not what you expected, I'm sure." His voice echoed in a bass tone that made my insides quake. "Please, take a seat."

Gaping at Father's transformation, I squirmed in the oversized chair, unable to speak or even formulate a coherent thought.

Even this immense armchair failed to accommodate Father's long torso and silver horns. His incisors glistened in the moonlight when he gave me a mirthless smile.

"Finally, you've come to see the truth as I have," he continued, gazing at the crescent moon. "We must embrace our inner darkness to have any hope of victory in this war."

"No, Father. I've come here because Bragda is still alive," I said.

He directed his cold, hazel gaze at me. "I know."

"What do you mean you know?"

"The Ministry discussed the matter with me, but we decided to use our Warriors to fortify the Minningen border. We're ready to strike in case the Gatál make their move."

"Can't you send a few Fireborn to rescue her?"

"No, I can't."

"Why not?"

"Crossing into their territory weakens our defense," he replied, narrowing his eyes. "We can't take that risk to save one woman unless there's something else to be gained."

"Father, it's Bragda. You must help her!"

"She's not my flesh and blood."

"What has gotten into you?" I exclaimed. "Bragda is your daughter. You can't abandon us again!"

Father recoiled and a flicker of pain washed over his features.

So he did still have a heart.

"Everything I've done, everything I've sacrificed, is to protect our Motherland."

"Halden is ruined! Can't you see?" I jumped to my feet in indignation. "Your program did nothing to prevent the war."

"Only because the other Risa rejected it as you did!"

Father bounded from the chair. I took a wary step backward as he neared me. "Yes, I saw you at the rally. I saw your derisive glare." He leaned forward until his face was inches from mine. "You could have become a Fireborn and protected Halden, but you did nothing."

"I faced the Shadow Riders!"

"And you failed!"

"Papa, this isn't you."

"If you had confronted the enemy with the strength of a Fireborn and the soul of a Sorceress," he said, baring his fangs, "you could have killed the dark lord. Instead, we're on the brink of war."

"It's my oath to heal people, not kill them."

"Your oath has left you weak. It has you begging for your sister's life! Once again, you've shown me you lack the strength to do what is necessary."

Tears of frustration welled in my eyes. "Help us, Papa. Please."

"No."

I blinked, unable to believe my ears. He doesn't want to save her.