23 ¦ Souls in the Balance

Seraphina and I met at the gate to the Sacred Gardens just as the moon had reached its apex.

"Don't give up hope, Liselle." She gave me a gentle squeeze. "The Tree can show you the joy inside Bragda's soul now that she's joined her ancestors. It might help you heal."

"I hope you're right," I said, pursing my lips. "The Tree has welcomed so many souls after the battle, though. Will She even know where to find my sister?"

"Don't worry, Liselle. Mother sees all."

Seraphina walked beside me as we strolled through the Sacred Gardens towards the Tree. She tried to explain how to access the Realm of the Dead, but the complex equation was well beyond my ken. It was like listening to someone explain calculus when I had only just learned how to add single digits.

"If you like, I can cast the spell," she offered.

"That'd probably be best."

Once we reached the Tree, Seraphina knelt before the holy stream. She retrieved her sacred opal pitcher so that she could water the roots for the ritual.

"Don't worry, Liselle. It's been blessed."

Filling the vessel in the stream beside the Tree, Seraphina began to chant a holy incantation. She sprinkled the roots that sprawled on the ground. They began pulsating as soon as the water touched them, emanating bright, iridescent colors.

"May this water sustain You as You sustain us, dear Mother," she chanted in melodious Risan dialect. "Unite us with our ancestors and our departed loved ones."

Seraphina began to sing a song in a language I'd never heard with tones so beautiful that they brought tears to my eyes. Her words touched my soul as white tendrils streamed from her palms, weaving a complex magical web connecting me to the Tree.

A cacophony of whispers flooded into my mind. Voices from the ancient past called my name. Their souls grasped me like invisible hands, pulling me closer to the Tree's roots until I lay flat upon the ground.

Without warning, the ground slipped from under me, and I fell onto my back. Pushing myself up, I realized I sat in a lush garden that was all too familiar. The scent of honeysuckle and tulips filled the air, and the sun's gentle rays caressed my face with kind warmth.

Spring.

I'd slipped into another vision.

Wait a minute. This is home!

Seraphina's song morphed into a hum I knew so well. Mama's voice. I ran towards the gate of our old house and saw Mama watering the begonias.

"My child," she said, extending her arms towards me.

I rushed towards her and hugged her. It felt so real. Her hug. Her frock. Her perfume--like fresh bread and cinnamon. She must have just baked our favorite loaf. Bragda would eat it all herself if given half the chance.

"Mama, how is this possible? You died."

"It's me, Liselle. Mother Nature," the Tree replied through Mama. Upon closer reflection, I realized Her voice had a susurrating quality like the wind brushing against leaves, and Her skin had a faint tint of blue, like Her heart. "Seraphina is connecting your soul to my consciousness."

"You're a projection in my mind."

"Yes."

A strange wistfulness tugged inside my chest as I pulled away. With a deep sigh, I bowed my head. "Forgive me for my impurity, Mother, but I need Your help."

The Tree reached out and cupped my cheek, stroking it with her thumb. "Mortals think I want purity." She gave a morose chuckle. "If that were true, why would I create fallible creatures? I love you all because you fall and rise again, stronger than before."