19 ¦ The Shadow Riders

Invisible hands gripped my shoulders as the Shadow King's spell attempted to force me away from Peter. 

"No!" I cried, drawing on my mana to push away his dark magic. 

As the dark spell dragged me past Peter, she reached out and drew me towards her. The Orc's muscles trembled from the effort as she strained against the magic, clutching me to her chest. 

The unmistakable tug of telekinesis grew more insistent until it tore me away from her, hurtling me through the air past her shield. I landed before the Shadow Riders, barely able to cushion my fall. 

With a groan, I stumbled to my feet. My head was spinning. Two of the Riders dismounted, striding past their leader towards me. 

The Orc leaped up and roared in protest. Before she could race to my side, the Shadow King snapped his fingers and froze her in place.

"Peter!"

An angry growl rumbled from the doldrums of her chest. "I can't move, Liselle! Run!"

Fear gripped my heart, urging me to sprint as fast as I could. But my legs felt as heavy as stone.

"I can't!"

The Riders whipped magical restraints into the air. The metal chains coiled around my middle and squeezed tightly. A pained grunt escaped my lips as I fell to the dusty ground. 

They each grabbed an arm, dragging me forward. With a painful downward shove, they forced me to kneel in front of their leader.

"One of the three Demon Sorcerers from the prophecy, Lord Hesse. We couldn't find the others."

Demon Sorcerers? Is he mad?

"Let me go!" I demanded.

I glared at their leader. I'd never seen the Shadow King in the flesh. Armed with a giant black sword, the evil Wraith wore a bejeweled metal helmet with tall tines that masked his face.

Snapping his fingers, he extinguished the firestorms around us, leaving only parched, barren earth in their place. The air cleared as the dust and ash settled to the ground. The red glow of distant flames glistened on the Shadow King's metal helmet.

"You may have escaped the call of fate once at your Induction Ceremony, but you cannot avoid it forever, Liselle. You are coming with us."

Anger sparked within me at his attempt to claim me. It ignited a searing flame that danced on my palms. 

"That's what you think."

"Twenty years ago, I met a Risan Sorceress like you. Red hair. Hazel eyes. Defiant. That girl--Helena--had the hubris to think she could fight her own destiny." Lord Hesse's chuckle rumbled from deep inside his chest. "Now she leads my army."

"I'll never join you."

"That's what they all say," he retorted. "After nearly four decades, no one has ever resisted my power."

"I will."

I cupped the fire and molded it into a giant fireball that I launched towards Lord Hesse. Before it could reach him, one of the Shadow Riders exhaled a powerful blast of frigid, arctic air. It collided with the flaming sphere, extinguishing it with a quiet hiss.

My heart leaped into my throat. What creature could combat fire magic with a single breath?

"Resist all you want, but it will be for naught. You will embrace the darkness like the others."

A loud roar made me jump, followed by a crack as loud as thunder. I whipped around to find Peter snarling at the Wraiths. Free of the spell, the Orc stomped forward until she stood before me with her arms outstretched, shielding me from the Riders.