27 ¦ Bittersweet News

While I waited for news about Bragda, time stood still.

Alicia tried to distract me by visiting my room and chatting, but all her efforts were in vain. Every eight hours another vision struck along with crippling nausea and vomiting. My heart thudded whenever I awoke, always with the memory of Bragda's blade against my throat.

Every vision pierced me like arrows through the heart, and I soon dreaded the thought of sleep.

"I can't do this, Peter!" I cried, holding my head in shame.

"They are only terrors," he replied in a soothing tone, wriggling under my hand, inviting me to pet his feathers. "They're your worst fears come to life. It could even be a psychic attack from the enemy. Remember, a vision with my sister will make your medallion glow blue."

"Recurring visions are usually a sign of true clairvoyance."

"Every Sorceress has a different tell. That might not be yours."

"I need Bragda to be okay," I exclaimed, clutching him a bit too tightly. The raven squawked and tried to ruffle his feathers, giving my fingers a gentle peck. "Sorry, Peter."

"I wish I had a humanoid form so that I could properly sit beside you." His human voice smoothed the jagged edges of my soul like lotion on cracked, sunburned skin. "Soon, I will."

I swallowed a lump in my throat. "Why haven't they sent word yet? Have they all died?"

"When I was a Defender, they told us no one could leave the compound other than the guards and your Father except by the express will of the Ministry. For security reasons."

"Do you think that includes us?"

"Possibly. We've pledged to serve your father until the war ends. Who knows when that will be?"

"You won't be able to morph as a Fireborn, will you?" I asked.

"Not until the Tree repairs my original form." He flew to my bedpost. "But as a Fireborn, I will have the strength to fight beside you."

"You can't fight in the war," I exclaimed. "What if you die?"

The raven turned away from me. "I'll return to the Tree of Life."

"I suppose a massive Fireborn has better chances of survival than a raven."

"Exactly." He faced me again. "As long as my Fireborn body lives, I'll fight by your side."

His gray eyes held every bit of the fiery intensity of his human form, and I averted my gaze. "Will a demonic body hurt your soul?"

"Liselle, how many times do I have to tell you?" The raven cocked his head, his eyes stern and forceful. "No matter what cage I reside in, my soul remains the same."

A knock on the door interrupted us, and I leaped to my feet. Without even looking to see who was at the door, I yanked it open to see a complete stranger staring at me with distant eyes.

"Courier for Miss Alta."

My heart leaped into my throat, and I stared at the official decree in his hand. "What news?" I asked, breathless. "Have you found her?"

He handed me the scroll. "Bragda Ironfist has returned."

My heart nearly burst free from my chest.

But after my confrontation with Father, I learned to read even the finest print. Peter's claws tapped on the wooden desk as he paced with anticipation and nerves.

"Oh, gods! It's true!" I exclaimed as I read the official decree. "Thank you!"

Without thinking, I dropped the document and hugged the messenger, who stood bemused, arms hanging stiffly by his sides. Peter cawed with approval.