42 ¦ Battle of Minningen

My heart thudded against my ribs in nervous anticipation. I helped Bragda and Kaylar perform their final equipment checks while Peter helped Marcus and Alicia with theirs.

"If I didn't know any better," Peter muttered, "I'd have thought you believed all that rubbish."

"We do deserve justice," Bragda countered.

"True, but conquest isn't justice."

"She's just trying to pump up the drones," Alicia said. "Right, Liselle?"

"Right."

"Yeah, but that's not true, is it?" Peter hissed in my ear. "You can't deceive me anymore. My soul is wrapped around yours. I feel what you feel."

"We're about to go into battle together. Don't fight with me."

"If I stand by your side, I have to know that you'll only push them back. We can't subject the world to Fireborn domination, or we're no better than the enemy."

Alicia rolled her eyes. "Peter, you're exaggerating."

"Our orders are to kill the Shadow Riders," he said. "Nothing more. Are we clear?"

"Who's the Captain? You?"

Peter jutted his chin and tugged me to a corner of the room. He pulled me close and whispered in my ear, his hot breath fanning my cheek.

"Think very carefully about your next words, Captain. You lead the Warriors, but I draft the strategy."

"They trained me for this."

"As Major, I outrank you on the field. You have your orders. Got it?"

"Understood."

"Good. Keep it that way." He led me back toward the others. "Any questions?"

Marcus crossed his arms. "How will we find the Shadow Riders? Wouldn't that be like trying to find a tadpole in a lake? It'll be utter chaos on the field."

"I can sense their presence."

Nurse Kaylar furrowed her brow. "I didn't know that was a Fireborn trait."

"It isn't."

Sensing Peter was on the verge of exploding in anger, I gestured at her to drop it. "Do we have to kill them all in order for the army to disintegrate?" she asked instead.

"No," Peter replied. "Once the King is killed, the Dragonborn armies will vanish. They are magical Warriors that keep their corporeal form only as long as he's alive. If he dies, they disappear."

"Kill Lord Hesse," Alicia said. "Got it."

Peter pursed his lips. "It's not that easy, though. All Shadow Riders look the same, and they will fight to the last man to protect the King."

"So, we should head straight for the Shadow Riders and ignore the rest?" Bragda asked.

Peter nodded. "We're the only ones with diamond arrows. Concentrate on the beasts and the wraiths. Let the Fireborn fight. Kill only the Dragonborn who get in your way."

"Yes, sir!" we replied.

"Do you all have your arrows?"

"Yes, sir!"

"Nurse Kaylar, do you have your burn kit?"

She patted her backpack. "All set."

"For fire and ice?"

She nodded. "My crystal is charged with healing mana. We're good to go."

"Captain," he said, gesturing at the thrumming portal, "if you please?"