• Chapter Two •

"What can you fight for?"  

They held their breath.

She stared at Elijah, and for a moment, there was no reaction in her dull silver eyes until she blinked, and then her body went rigid and stiff. Her breathing became slightly heavier, her heart thumping in her fragile chest, echoing against their sensitive hearing. Elijah frowned when her eyes suddenly hardened and she seemed to become completely oblivious to his existence once more. 

It was like someone had flipped a switch and she just shut everything out.

There was a silence. 

'I don't think she's fully aware of us,' Asher murmured to his pack mates. 

'Did you see the way her eyes changed? She's not even seeing me right now.' Elijah asked, his gaze searching the odd she-wolf as though she contained some kind of answer, but her lifeless  eyes gave away nothing. 

'Don't make any sudden movements,' Their Alpha advised, watching her carefully from the passenger seat, 'We don't know the extent of her abuse, and we could accidentally trigger something. We don't need anymore problems right now until we can get her back to Darren.'

His Beta and Enforcer nodded in agreement. They briefly glanced at the Gamma, who was still unconscious next to her with his arm draped across her chest, and then returned their observant attention back to the she-wolf, waiting for a reaction. For something.

She didn't move. She never even blinked. 

Suddenly, the jeep ran over a bump in the road, and she was shifted against Cassius. The Gamma groaned, reaching a hand to rub his eyes, but he barely had a chance to wake up before the she-wolf was suddenly alive.

She attempted to thrash her body against the blanket that was restraining her, and the men watched with wide eyes. Cassius quietly scooted himself away from the she-wolf, luckily smart enough to realize it wasn't smart to interfere without his pack mates having to growl at him.

"Shit," Daniel said, "I'm sorry." 

Their Alpha watched the she-wolf freeze at the sound of his pack member's voice, and her ears that were once slightly perked to the sounds around her, slipped back against her skull. Her lips lifted into a snarl, revealing sharp white teeth, her silver eyes narrowed dangerously at Elijah. 

However, there was no sound that followed the change of expression of the she-wolf. The Alpha silently observed her pupils as they dilated but there was no show of her wolf. He assumed her wolf was resting but - nonetheless - her gaze was enough to put someone twenty feet under and he noticed Elijah slightly shiver.