• Chapter Eighteen •

"We can't handle everything, can we?"

She was insensate. 

The black shadows surrounded her, circling her like vultures their prey, and she didn't even have the energy to breathe. 

She was stuck in a haze, suspended in it, and yet it was calm. A serenity implanted inside of her. The raging storm that consumed her mind for the past weeks was no more, as if someone just chased it all away. She was lost in its blissful silence, and for once, she realized there wasn't a fight. 

She didn't need to fight this. 

Her past had tried to overcome her, and force her away from everything, but she had hung on. She didn't allow herself to be swept away in the blackened tides, she couldn't return to that kind of pain. She knew that it scared her, but she wanted to stay with Cassius, her friend

She submitted to an Alpha, and instead of feeling the defeat, she could finally breathe. 

An Alpha that held a great sadness inside of him, but fought to keep his pack together every day. He carried the appearance of a man carved from gold, but his eyes carried the sorrow of a dark past, and she found a connection there.     

After she had practically challenged him for everything in his worth, Leon still hadn't given her sign of the evil that lurked with other Alpha's. She was blinded by her rage, overwhelmed with the situation she was in, and Leon had taken it all with little trouble; his reaction mirroring a true Alpha.

Her demons couldn't control her anymore because Leon had control over them, and the feeling of not having to fight her own primal instincts at every second of the day was an unexplainable relief. A feeling that was so sweet she could nearly taste it. 

What had she ever done to deserve this? 

It wasn't like she was innocent, she had killed many wolves in her time. Some who deserved it, but many who were innocent but caught up in the wrong side of reality like she was. She didn't feel guilty about it, but she surely didn't deserve the warmth the Aloysius Pack offered her either. 

She couldn't even feel enough to be conflicted. 

A soft grumble sounded in the back of her mind, and she felt Sekhet growing irritated with the blanket of darkness holding them in between the lines of consciousness. It only took a moment of Sekhet's strength, and her senses flooded back to her. 

Her eyes remained closed as she took in her surroundings by smell, and she became acutely aware of a warm body laying inches from her own. 

She knew it was Cassius because of his rustic scent, and she couldn't deny the sense of fondness rolling in her stomach. She had never allowed herself to dwell on it long, but as the Gamma's comforting presence soothed her, she realized one thing.