• Chapter Eight •

"Will time heal?"   

One Month Later

She was drowning in the silence. 

The days slipped by like water cascading over rocks in a river and it left her with a sense of impatience. There was still no word from the males she knew lived beyond the door, and her wolf had joined in their silence ever since they'd been locked in this room. 

She could barely feel Sekhet most days, the presence of her wolf nearly nonexistent.

The regular consumption of the food provided had returned the strength to her body where she could finally walk without using her wolf's strength to keep herself upright, and her ribs no longer protruded from her sides in a sickly way. She was beginning to heal, one step closer to her optimal condition every day, and she was suspicious as to why this pack was allowing it. 

They were surely aware of her true potential. 

She had many thoughts and questions--when she let them surface--and they fleeted across her mind in close resemblance of lost snowflakes in a snowstorm.

Eventually, she shut everything out, allowing herself to seep into the darkness that invaded her soul, and it was there that she embraced the emptiness that didn't burden her with frustration and confusion.

She found herself settling into the pattern, in which she was her only company and food arrived like clockwork, until there was a sudden change in the familiarity. 

Her morning meal wasn't provided, and then, within the span of an hour, she could sense the presence of several males as they passed by the door. Their anxiety was not missed by her keen senses, and that was how she knew something was going to happen. 

No sooner had she prepared herself for what could come were the bolts of the door loudly withdrawn from their places, accompanied by the clank of the door handle. The scent of four higher ranking males alerted her that she was outnumbered. 

She tensed in anticipation. 

They had finally come. 

The door gave way to illuminate the room with a bright light from outside her room, and she caught sight of the silhouettes of four large males before lowering her eyes. She knew all to well the consequences of meeting a higher ranking wolf eye-to-eye, and although it burned her soul to submit, she knew that she needed to gain an advantage before fighting for freedom.