• Chapter Thirteen •

"Is there a way to hide?"     

Alpha Leon was seated behind his desk, various papers were neatly stacked on the left corner of the desk while three pens existed on the floor, and his Beta sat opposite of him with a broken pen tapping between his fingers. 

Even though they had their separate offices, they would occasionally work in the Alpha's office together. They muttered incoherent words when the stack of papers never seemed to cease, and sometimes they'd take break to run through the woods in their wolf form. 

Suddenly, the quiet environment they'd been working in was interrupted by a urgent knock on the door. 

Leon heaved a sigh, straightening his shoulders, "Come in." 

"Alpha," Harley stumbled into the room, slightly out of breath. 

"What's happened?" Leon stood from behind his desk, a sense of dread filling the pit of his stomach. 

Harley took a second to recover his breathes before he let out a long breath, "The Nashoba Pack has caught scent of the she-wolf here." 

"What?" Asher shot out of his chair, his eyes widening. 

"That's impossible, she hasn't left her room, and the pack border is nearly two miles away." Alpha Leon shook his head, half-chuckling. 

Harley shook his head, "Lucas says they can smell her on our pack lands, and they are beginning to ask questions about it." 

The Alpha slowly exhaled, "Do they recognize her?" 

"Lucas doesn't think so," Harley replied, "But they might if they want to track the scent. Lucas is concerned that they're going to demand access onto our lands." 

"Our terms of agreement won't allow it," Leon growled lowly, "How did her scent get on our land? We covered our tracks all the way from the safe house." 

Silence filled the room as the men shared looks with each other, their minds churning for an answer, until one thought caused their stomachs to drop. 

"Cassius," They said in unison. 

Another spell of silence. 

"Where is Cassius?" Leon asked, his voice deathly calm. 

"He's out on patrol with some of the warriors on the west border." Harley said, taking a small step back.

"Get him back in the pack house immediately!" 

"Yes, Alpha." Harley flinched at the harshness of his Alpha's words and instantly sent a mind link to his Gamma. 

"How did it slip our minds that her scent would cling to him?" Asher swore under his breath, pacing back and forth in front of the Alpha's desk.