• Chapter Ten •

"Do emotions really control us?"       

She laid with her head resting on her paws, her nose angled towards the door. 

He would be coming soon, she knew it was that time again. He seemed to make it a habit to come a few minutes before the afternoon meal, and yesterday, he even showed up carrying the meal in his hands like it was normal. 

She knew he was trying to get closer to her, trying to break through her securely built walls. She could sense the eagerness in his presence, feel the hope that he harbored. Yet, there was a hesitation that held his attempts, and she was glad that he listened to his instincts because they weren't wrong.

Her ears slightly perked at the sound of the latches being pulled, and his peppermint scent flooded the room, making her nose tingle. Her eyes drifted to the floor in the corner of the room and she pulled her ears against her skull, hoping to deter the male from interacting with her.

"Good afternoon, my lady." Cassius chirped as he strode in, placing the tray of food on the bed. There was something off about him, she could feel it, and after a few moments of silence, he sighed uneasily, "I was hoping you'd have some kind of change in reaction, but now that I see that Leon is right, we're going to have to try something new." 

"I just want you to know that this wasn't my idea, and I really don't want to do this. But you've gotta give us something, girl." He explained, his voice pleading, and she was confused as to why until she suddenly saw his boots moving towards her in her peripheral vision. He unknowingly crossed the invisible line she'd drawn for how close he could be to her.

Her muscles tensed. 

"Please, please don't eat me. I have so many more pranks up my sleeve for Asher," He took another step, "I just want to do my job and make my pack proud."

The once friendly atmosphere in the room was now cloaked with a heavy warning, of which neither of them heeded, and when Cassius took another step, her silver eyes flicked to his boots. They were within four feet of her, far too close for comfort, and she could feel her instincts stirring, preparing to protect her. 

He could hurt her in an instant, and she wouldn't be able to escape him.

Cassius had barely even taken another step when her head snapped towards him and he instantly froze in his place. She bravely rose her frigidly cold eyes to meet his.

"There you are," He murmured, "I was beginning to miss your beautiful eyes." 

He had his hands raised, showing her that he meant her no harm, but he could tell that she wasn't having any of it. He briefly prayed to the Moon Goddess for protection, and he took another step. 

She was snarling in an instant. 

Her hackles bristled along her slim back, and her lips were lifted to reveal very sharp canines that Cassius knew would be embedded in his skin if he made a wrong move.