• Chapter Twelve •

"Can you stand on your own?"      

She had no idea what she was doing. 

Her wolf was restless in her mind, their bond sizzling like a hot fire, and she grimaced at the thought of pushing her wolf to this point, but for once in her life, she had followed her own instinct instead of her wolf's. She couldn't help but feel as if she was in the calm before the storm. Her decision was either a wise choice, or a foolish choice that would only destroy her. 

His veins had been pulsing against her tongue, that sweet metallic taste of his skin driving her senses wild, and with just a squeeze of her jaws, she could have torn apart his throat, claiming another innocent life from the world. 

But something held her back, and it existed in the smallest part of her mind. Its voice nearly silent, its pleas forgotten a thousand times, yet she had heard it this time. She had never listened to such trivial things, but this voice grew to be a hundred men screaming within her, fighting against the primal instinct that she savored. 

It had consumed her, and she'd yielded to it, leaving her with an infuriated Sekhet. 

Her wolf had done nothing but keep them alive, and she felt troubled about causing conflict with her other half as the time went on. She hurt as if glass was embedded in her soul, forcing old wounds to bleed themselves out, and she almost regretted the aftermath that one choice had provided.

However, the part of her that still lived wouldn't let her go back on what she'd formed with Cassius. She had accepted him, and she was coming to the realization of what that would entail.

She had grown to hate males for what they did to her and although she hated the Gamma for his persistent attempts that eventually succeeded, she somehow knew that he was different. He just wasn't like the males she'd known, and it stirred something deep inside of her, but Sekhet wouldn't have any of it.

The familiar sound of someone entering her room made her ears perk in surprise. She wasn't expecting anyone so soon, but alas, Cassius stepped through the threshold with one of the biggest grins on his face. He was always happy about something.

"Hello, my lady!" 

She blinked, her eyes unconsciously lowering to his neck, and just above the collar of his shirt she saw the white scars that marred his once unblemished tan skin. Scars that only her teeth could make, and could never be removed. They formed a perfect crescent shape across the front of his neck, narrowing missing his jugular, and it officially marked him as a survivor; the second one ever. 

"Darren said it was okay for me to come back today. Everything is almost healed, beside I have this little spot on my back that is taking longer to heal," He slowly rolled his shoulders for emphasis, "It would suck being a human after that happened. I'd still be in that room if it wasn't for my abilities--which by the way, we're going to have to work on whose really in charge here."