• Chapter Twenty •

"Our freedom is ours, right?"    

Her limbs quivered uncontrollably, tremors of energy wrecking through her body without mercy. 

She could smell it. That scent that burned her senses, awakening something inside of her soul. A power so sacred that she didn't know how to control it besides let it loose.

It was calling to her in the way of a siren.

Sekhet anxiously paced, desperate to regain what they had lost, and they merged together; both wolf and girl present in the same moment. A tingling sensation curled the tips of their paws into the wood, and they danced in their place.

They tore their eyes away from the door, focusing on the male beside them, and he gave them a tender smile, his green eyes sparkling with joy. He was just as excited as they were. He placed his hand on top of her head to calm her, but she nipped it away and he softly chuckled.

It was torture waiting the final minutes of preparation, the pack wolves taking their positions on the pack borders, and the only noise she could hear was the rushing of her own heart. Everything was alive in her body, drowning out the world around her.

She had waited endless months for this. 

This exact moment that she never thought she'd have again. 

Cassius shifted beside them, and it felt like her own soul was going to tear itself from her body. The impatience had never been so strong, and time couldn't have passed any slower.

"Okay," He suddenly breathed, "We're clear." 

Her ears swiveled quickly and she moved towards the door on a cloud of surrealism. She barely felt her paws, they were numb with excitement. She just couldn't believe it, yet she wouldn't waste it wondering. 

She would cherish this for every second that it was worth. No one could understand the twisted pain in her heart, what it felt like, the nagging in her head to get to something she couldn't reach. The ache that spread through her chest like poison, the pieces of glass embedded in her heart. 

Cassius reached for the doorknob, and then she felt it. 

A rush of warm spring air swept through her fur, gently caressing her cheeks, and the scent of the earth was rich in her nose. The only thing holding her back no longer existed, and the forest almost seemed to wave for her to sprint deep into its comfort. 

It all happened in one instant, and then the feelings that energized her limbs returned at full force. She had spent many years behind closed doors, looming in the harshness of concrete cells, and her mouth went dry in thought of her impending freedom.

"Go, the wilderness is yours, Reeve." Cassius whispered, and her revere was broken. She leaped through the door and onto the porch, eyes wide open with untamed desire. The warmth of the sun radiated against her coat, seeping into her bones, and the feeling that threatened to burst inside of her could not be described with words.