• Chapter Four •

"How do you mend a broken soul?"      

It had been three hours. 

The men had rose before the sun against their internal protests, and packed the little that they had left for the trip. It had been a very quiet morning. They were pulling away from the safe house before they even knew it, and everyone had settled in for the long hours ahead of them without a word to each other. 

They made a stop for gas an hour in, where Cassius had swiped an entire shelf of candy from the station, and it wasn't long before empty wrappers were littered everywhere in the back of the jeep. The Gamma was soundly sleeping with his backside against the she-wolf, and Asher had leaned himself against the passenger seat, stretching his legs out alongside the she-wolf.

Elijah was situated on the other side of her, nodding off every now and again.

The country changed from the rural, harsh winter mountains to wide open flatland covered in tall wisps of grass that gently swayed with the wind. They passed through cozy valleys and small towns, each of them slightly more populated than the last. The back roads were their way home so that they could avoid the authorities of the human world, who could be rather irritating. 

It was bad enough that a few humans knew of the werewolf existence, and those humans were known as Hunters. They hunted every werewolf they could find in the false accusation that they were all rogue's and cold-hearted killers, but of course, the humans understood little of the werewolves to actually understand. 

Not all werewolves were heartless.

Werewolves had learned to disguise themselves in the human world, but some of them refused to be forced into hiding and sought shelter in environments that no human could survive. Many of the werewolves hid in the Northern Pack Region, where the cold winter wind froze any human off its mountainside, and some of the werewolves chose their territory just outside the Southern Region, where the abundance of mountains allowed them to disappear but the warm breeze still thrived.

The mountains were a wolf's natural habitat, therefore, instead of creating a war with the pathetic humans, werewolves simply outsmarted them. They had done this for years, years that were too many to count.

However, it could not stop the unfortunate deaths of beloved family when the humans tracked the wolves into the mountains. A wolf is very protective of its own, and when they lose their loved ones, sometimes the relentless anger urges them to attack the humans, and the humans always retaliate. 

The skirmish was ongoing. 

Alpha Leon occasionally glanced back at the she-wolf, expecting her eyes to open any moment, but after the fourth hour came and went without a single twitch, he resigned to simply watching the countryside fly by.