• Chapter Fifteen •

"What is the fine line?"      

The past couple of weeks were a dream. 

Cassius had entered that room with the intention of being drug out in pieces, and they were expecting a dangerous close off, but what had happened shook everyone to their cores. The entire pack had been stunned, gawking at her reaction. 

A new beast presented itself. 

They watched a vicious creature break under the pressure of friendship, and in its place a young wolf was left defenseless. Darren was surprised at the abrupt leap the she-wolf took, and he spent hours in his office, observing her and scribbling notes. 

She was hard to understand, but Darren was convinced he could figure something out. It was his job to understand his patients thoroughly, but he couldn't make a full statement until he'd met her face to face. 

Cassius had walked out of the room incredibly starstuck, and no one could snap him out of it for at least fifteen minutes. Darren knew something powerful laid with the she-wolf, he could taste it, like a tainting blood.

Bittersweet. 

He spoke with Leon, and the Alpha agreed that something was lurking beneath the surface, even his wolf could feel it. As the she-wolf slowly unwrapped herself from the shadows, the mysteries that laid beneath rose to surface and questions were raised. 

Some of the pack members had been murmuring among themselves about the entire thing being a dream, but they watched everyday as Cassius entered the she-wolf's room. She would greet him, and then she would lay at his feet while he read her books. She allowed him to touch her in brief rubs. 

The surrounding packs had fallen silent in the rumors of the female scent, brushing it aside as a rogue, but Leon was still cautious of letting things move too quickly. He kept a tight rein in things, anxious about future conflicts. He was never meant to be an Alpha, and the responsibility of one stressed him beyond his bounds. 

Over the days, Cassius had convinced Leon that they were ready for the next step, and the pack warriors spent the morning barricading the house. They sealed every window with bars, secured every door that led outside with bolts on inside and out. 

They weren't taking any chances, but the she-wolf had to continue on her journey. 

It was nearly noon when the preparations were finally finished, and Leon ordered everyone to stay away from the Alpha's house during a two hour period. He stationed five warriors around the outside of the house as a precaution, and then it was time. 

The Alpha eyed Cassius, a silent warning in the air, "You can't let her out of the exterior doors at any cost. If she gets out of control, you know how to use the tranquilizer gun Darren provided," The Gamma nodded, but winced at the mention of putting the she-wolf under by force, "I want you to keep in contact with me, and let us know of any suspicious behavior."