• Chapter Three •

"Memories are from the past, aren't they?"    

The small two-story house with faded grey shutters was a welcome sight for the men. They had finally reached the safe house, and as far as they knew, no one else knew about their little intrusion of the Northern Pack Region. The frost bitten road crunched under the the tires as the jeep drew to a stop in front of the structure.

They had left the snow behind several miles back but as the men popped open their doors and emerged from the vehicles, the nipping cold that assaulted their skin was a reminder of why they appreciated their animal side; no human could survive these temperatures.

The Alpha slid from his seat and closed the door behind him. He watched his Beta carefully get out of the vehicle and then his Gamma's head appeared in the door frame.

"I can carry her." Cassius said, a slight grin on his face.

The Gamma was shoved from behind by Elijah, and the man tumbled out of the vehicle onto the ground where chuckles erupted around him from the warriors. Asher was even smirking as Cassius scowled up at them, rubbing the back of his head head.

They all sobered in an instant when they saw Elijah diligently sliding the unconscious she-wolf to the side door, where he pushed his arms under her body and pulled her into his chest. Elijah was cautious of her head on his bicep and turned his body to get her out of the door frame without bumping her against anything.

A low murmuring passed among the warriors. They gave Elijah room to maneuver around the vehicle and Cassius held open the door for everyone as they trailed into the house. 

The little house was scarcely decorated with only the essential furniture to occupy the open floor space. A small kitchen was situated in the corner of the house, and in its cabinets it held enough food for five people for three days. There were two bedrooms and a bathroom downstairs, and four more bedrooms upstairs. 

A basement was a part of the foundation, but nobody had been down there in years, and the last anyone knew it was suffering from flooding because of the spring meltdowns. The snow from the mountains had to go somewhere, and unfortunately the house was in a valley, just on the outreach of the mountains.

It wasn't their best safe house, but it was the only one they had for the night. The warriors huddled themselves in the doorway of the living room, watching their Beta tear pillows and cushions off the couch, and in a few moments, the couch was transformed into a fold out twin bed. 

Elijah gently spread the she-wolf on the surface and slipped a small pillow underneath her head. He grabbed another blanket from the floor and wrapped it around her body. The slight tremors that ran through her body every few minutes were sign enough of her chill, and frankly, they were happy that there was a response at all. Her body was responding with life.