4: Trolls!

*Long chapter, just warning you! (And it's not all one big fighting scene, I promise)

Originally, only Fili and Kili were sent on watch duty, but Fili wanted you to come along too. You don't know how Fili did it, but somehow, he convinced Thorin to let you come with him.

The three of you noticed that some of the ponies had gone missing and that there were rather large footprints near the camp. Instead of telling Thorin and the others, you all decided to follow the footprints.

"Look, (Y/N), Kee, over there!" Fili said in a hurried whisper.
"What is it Fee?" Kili asked.
"A light!" Fili replied, "Let's get a closer look."

As the three of you moved closer, you heard a noise behind you. It was Bilbo, the hobbit.

"Um... excuse me...." he started, but was immediately shushed.
"Shhhhhh!" You all said at once.

Bilbo sat down beside us. "What's over there?" The hobbit seemed scared.

"Trolls!" Fili and Kili replied in unison.

The three of you found the missing ponies. They were locked up next to one of the three large mountain trolls in front of you.

You felt Fili's hand on your shoulder. Fili looks at you and holds out his hunting knives.

"You'll need these," He says in a serious tone.

You nod, taking the knives.

"Kili, (Y/N), and I will distract the trolls. Bilbo go around the other side and free the ponies!" Fili ordered.

Bilbo raised his hand to object, but Fili was already on the move. When Fili was in protection mode, what he says, goes.

We made our way around the circle of trolls. Bilbo was currently trying to grab the key to unlock the trapped ponies. He was about to reach it when one of the trolls picked him up.

Before you knew it, Kili had appeared out in the open. He begins distracting the trolls. It's three against one, so you and Fili decide to even up the odds.
You rush beside Kili.

One of the trolls swings his fist at you. You leap onto his arm and start slashing at his thick skin with the knives. Fili begins fighting another troll, using his dual swords to chop at his legs. Kili shoots at them, making the trolls even more irritated.

The troll you had climbed onto lurches backwards, swatting at you. You slip off his shoulder and fall, but somehow, manage to land on your feet. On the ground, you are much more vulnerable. You back away from the troll and look beside you at Fili. He's in the same situation you are, having no luck.

"(Y/N)! Get on my shoulders!" Fili calls out to you.

As the trolls close in on you, he hoists you onto his shoulders. Fili runs towards the massive figures.
"When I say jump, you jump!" Fili orders.
"Jump!"
You jump. As you soar over the trolls' heads, you grab the neck of one of them, pulling your arms tight in an attempt to choke him. Meanwhile Fili tries to take out his legs.
The other troll had stopped worrying about Bilbo, had tied up Kili in a sack, and was now walking towards you. He reached out to grab you, but was stopped when all of a sudden, the rest of the dwarves came crashing into the clearing.

Somehow, with all fifteen of you there, you still couldn't manage to defeat three trolls or free the ponies.

The majority of the company ended up like Kili, tied up in sacks. The other portion is tied up together being roasted over a fire.

The hobbit stands up and begins to stall and distract the trolls. The longer this adventure goes on, the bolder he seems to get.

All of a sudden, there is a voice coming from somewhere in the trees. The voice insults the trolls.

The trolls start arguing about which of them spoke.

"It wasn't me! It was YOU!" One troll shouts.

"I didn't say anything!" Another one shrieks.

You squint and see a tall pointed hat. Gandalf!

At that moment, the sun rose above the line of trees. The three trolls, alarmed, tried to block out the sun and run away, but it was too late. Their bodies had been turned to stone, their skin crispy and hardened. They were dead.

You smile as Gandalf steps forward. The company begins to cheer.

The company gets ready to keep moving. Fili walks up beside you. He puts a hand on your head and ruffles your hair playfully. You reach up to tussle his hair, but he dodges your hand and takes advantage of off guard position as an opportunity to scoop you off the ground, into his arms. You both laugh as he sets you down and you continue to walk with the rest of the Company.
•••
Thorin realizes that since there were trolls, there must be a cave near by. Everyone decides to split up and start searching.

While the others slowly disperse from the group, you immediately get going. Your pace quickens to a run. The forest is so dense, you can barely tell where you're going, but you know that by finding the troll hoard, you can really prove yourself to the company. The dwarves, except for Fili, Kili, and a few others, don't think much of you. With you being a female and a half-dwarf, they mostly just ignored you, and that needed to change. You are just as much a part of the Company as they are.

Suddenly, you feel your foot catch on a tree root. You stumble trying to find your footing, before losing your balance entirely, feeling your hands drive into the dirt. You skid across the ground before hitting something hard, hearing your coat rip, falling again, and landing in a pile of something made of metal, judging by the clinking sound it made.

You open your eyes and sit up, trying to figure out where you had fallen into, and then it hit you. You had fallen into the troll cave. When you fell, you had hit the rocks by the entrance, which must have caused your coat to rip. What you were sitting in was a pile of treasure. Gold coins and weapons of all sorts filled the bottom of the cave.

You begin to laugh. You had managed to fall right into the cave just by luck.

Someone must have heard you laughing and called out to you, "(Y/N)!? Is that you!" It was Bofur.

"Yes Bofur, it's me!" You peered up at him, "I found the cave!"

"I can see that!" he laughed, "Fili! Kili! Over here!"

The two brothers appeared.

"(Y/N)! How'd you get down there!" Kili laughs.

Fili slides into the cave and lands beside you. The others follow.

"Look at all this (Y/N)!" Fili stares in awe, picking up a sword and turning it in his hands.

You get up and walk around, taking in the sight. You run your hand over a row of weapons stacked against the wall. Your fingers pass over each one, leaving trails in the thick layer of dust that coats them. One in particular catches your eye. It's a double bladed battle axe made out of a shiny metal. You carefully brush the dust off of it and admire it. The double blade reaches about 1 1/2 feet from one side to the other and if you stand it on the ground, the weapon reaches as high as your waist. For anyone bigger than a dwarf, the axe would be quite small, but for you, it's the perfect size. You take a deep burgundy-purple hair ribbon from your pocket and wrap it around the middle of the blade, claiming it as your own.

Thorin joins the rest of the Company and enters the cave.

"Well done (Y/N)," he claps you on the back.

The other dwarves show appreciation for your finding of the treasure by nodding in approval and lightly punching your arm as if to thank you.

You know you have earned your place.