23: Battle Ready

A conclusion had been reached that the Company would stand and fight alongside the elves and people of Laketown. With news that orc armies were making their way to Erebor, the Company needed to act fast.

You have just finished pulling your hair into a series of tight braids that will hopefully keep it out of your face in battle. Two Dutch braids, tied off at the nape of your neck, with the remaining length of your hair weaved into a fishtail braid, finished off with a shiny gold ribbon (to match the tiny gold  pieces of armour covering your jacket).

"I believe this belongs to you, love." Fili picks up your armoured jacket and helps you put it on, making sure your hands find the arm holes.

You turn to face him, noticing Fili's jacket buttons aren't matched up to the correct holes. You stick your tongue out, focussed, as you fix it for him. When you are satisfied, you tug on the jacket so it settles into place on Fili's shoulders.

"Better?" You ask.

"Perfect." Fili smiles, "Perfect, just like you." He playfully boops your nose with his finger.

You fumble with your shoulder armour. Once it's secure, you pick up your battle axe. You double check that your throwing axes are safely tucked away in the holsters in your boots. You smile, remembering the day that Fili helped you make them. The unique designs etched into the side of each axe make them even more special to you.

"(Y/N)! Fili!" Ori calls out to you, holding his latest knitted creation, "I made these for you. There's one pair for each member of the Company. What do you think?"

He holds out two pairs of knitted fingerless gloves. One pair for Fili and a slightly smaller set for you.

"Wow Ori! I love them!" You put down your axe and immediately put the gloves on.

"I'd say these are your best work yet!" Fili exclaims, praising Ori's handiwork.

"Oh, well thank you! That's great to hear!" Ori says, before walking off to hand out gloves to the others.

You hold your hand up in front of your face, admiring the gloves. They are made with thick dark brown yarn. The texture of them will help you grip your axe in battle.

Fili swoops you're hand out of the air and kisses it softly in one swift motion.

"Ready m'lady?" He asks.

"Yes, love." You reply, your hand still interlocked with Fili's as you head towards the front gate.

You climb the stairs to the the top of the wall barricading the front entrance to the mountain. The elves and people of Laketown are ready for battle, now armed with weapons.

You hear the sound of a horn. You look in the direction it came from and see an army marching towards the mountain. You smirk, knowing exactly who it is: Dain Ironfoot and his dwarf army from the Iron Hills.

The other dwarves have now gathered along the wall and begin to cheer as Dain gets closer, riding a  massive mountain sheep.

You hear Dain mutter a few insults at Thranduil. This earns an eruption of laughter and more cheering from the Company. It also gets a reaction from the elves. They fire a round of arrows at the dwarf army, which are countered by some sort of dwarf weaponry you've never seen before. These contraptions shred the elven arrows to smithereens.

After a bit of persuasion from Gandalf, Dain settles down and agrees to fight alongside the elves.

The ground begins to shake. You squint, noticing a hole forming in a nearby hill. The orc army has arrived. More holes form, created by giant were-worms, clearing the way for tens of thousands of orcs. The sight is sickening. This battle will not be easily won.

You look at Thorin, waiting for a signal to join the fight, but there is none. His expression remains unchanged, still hesitant to fight.

Kili takes his uncle aside to speak to him. Fili follows, not wanting his brother to challenge Thorin alone.

A few minutes later, they return.

"We will fight!" Thorin announces.

The company lines up in formation, set up to break through the barricade and enter the battlefield. A giant bell is released from the ceiling, crashing through the wall. The Company breaks into a sprint. Thorin leads the way, then Fili and Kili, then you and Dwalin, and so on.

The armies collide. You break into action, impaling your axe into the first orc you see. Then another one. One more. Again. Two come at you at once. You smirk, wildly excited to test out your new throwing axes. The two orcs are running quite close together. You see your chance and you take it. You pluck one axe from your boot and whip it towards your attackers, lodging it directly between the orcs' heads, sticking them together.

You jump up with your legs out in front of you, serving each orc a boot to the face before retrieving the throwing axe.

Your smirk intensifies as you catch a glimpse of Fili. You try not to get distracted, but can't help but admire his fighting skills as he twists around, killing three orcs with his sword in only a few seconds. You're proud to be marrying such a badass.

You quickly snap back into focus, jabbing the end of your battle axe into the gut of one orc, then running the blade through another one.

The battle goes on. You and the others continue eliminating the enemy. Bofur somehow manages to get ahold of some sort of troll or goblin brute and has begun to steer it, crushing orcs under the creature's feet.

You, Fili, Kili, Balin, and Dwalin get your hands on a cart, pulled by mountain sheep. The five of you ride the cart across the ice on a frozen river. Balin is steering, Kili and Dwalin shoot orcs from the back of the cart, and you and Fili take out orcs from the sides.

You hang on to the cart from the outside, leaning over to take out orcs with your axe. You spot a massive troll beginning to run after the cart.

"Kili!" You shout, "Shoot it!"

"Where do I shoot it?!" Kili shouts back.

"In its jam bags!" Dwalin answers.

"It doesn't have any jam bags!" Kili panics for a second before giving up and firing, taking down the troll.

The cart makes a screeching noise as the piece connecting the mountain sheep to the base of the vehicle starts to break.

You see Thorin riding a mountain goat towards Raven Hill. He gestures for the group of you to follow.

"Go! I'll take care of them," Balin points to a fleet of orcs heading your way.

You jump onto the connecting piece, hoping it holds up until you reach your mountain goat. You take a wild leap, landing on the one at the front. Fili joins you, landing on the goat next to yours. Kili and Dwalin do the same. Seconds later, the piece snaps, freeing the goats from the cart.

The four of you race to catch up to Thorin.

Upon catching up with Thorin, he orders you, Fili, and Kili to search the ruins at the top of the hill.

Kili will search the lower levels. You and Fili will handle the upper levels.

It seems empty, but you never know where there could be orcs hiding.

Before entering the tunnel leading to the upper level, you take Fili's hand and squeeze it. He squeezes your hand back, running his thumb over the back of your hand. Fili looks at you. For the first time in your life, he doesn't have that fearless, confident look in his eyes. You reach up and give him a quick kiss.

You decide to be brave - for Fili - and enter the tunnel first.