9: Romantic flight

You wake up to Fili stroking your hair. He runs his fingers through it, gently smoothing out tangles and knots. His hands lightly massage your head. The feeling is quite pleasant.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you!" Fili stops what he's doing, seeing that you are awake, "If you're tired, you can go back to sleep. I'll let you know when we land."

"No, I feel really good actually. How long was I asleep?" You sit up.

"You slept the entire night. The sun's been up for a while now." Fili says with a yawn.

"Did YOU get any sleep?" You turn around, putting a hand on Fili's shoulder.

"I'm fine, don't you worry about me." Fili says, yawning a second time, giving away the truth.

You sigh and take hold of Fili's hands, folding his arms across his torso. You sit cross legged and lean his head in your lap. You take off your thick grey jacket and fold it into a makeshift pillow.

"Rest, Fee, you need it," you gently kiss Fili's forehead.

Fili smiles up at you.

You smile back. You close his eyelids gently with your fingers, "Go to sleep, love."

"Mmmhm", Fili mumbles.
He sighs before finally giving in to his exhaustion and drifting off to sleep.

You pick up a messy ringlet of Fili's hair and play with it between your fingers. You carefully comb out the knots and begin removing dirt and pine needles that got stuck back at the warg attack. Bored, you take small sections of hair and braid them loosely.

When you're happy with your work, you pause and look around at the scenery around you. It's beautiful from up here. Just up ahead, you can see Mirkwood as well as the long lake. Behind you lie the misty mountains, lined with trees and snow coated peaks.

The wind picks up blowing your hair across your face. After picking out a few hair ribbons from your pocket, you begin to plait your hair. You begin to hum the tune of "far over the misty mountains cold" as you work your hair into a long fishtail braid that runs down your back. You tie off the braid, securing it with a wide purple ribbon, to match your outfit. You sigh as you realize that your once deep purple tunic is now stained with dirt, ash, and blood.

You will hopefully get a chance to change into something clean at your destination.

"(Y/N)! We'll be landing soon, just up ahead." Bofur calls to you from the next eagle over.

"Aight, thanks Bofur." You wave to him, signalling that you understand.

"Fili..." you speak softly, lightly tapping Fili's shoulders.

"Mmmm, I'm awake." Fili's eyes flutter open.

"We're about to land."

You kiss his forehead before helping him sit up.

"Look, (Y/N)! Over there!" Fili points to a spot in the distance, suddenly wide awake.

You gasp.

"The lonely mountain!" You both say in unison.

Fili puts an arm around you and kisses your cheek, "We're halfway there."