19: Second Breakfast (Part 1)

With Smaug gone and Erebor fully prepared for battle, there hasn't been much to do except wait around for something to happen. Rather than stay bored, the Company had requested that  Bilbo share stories about the Shire in order to give you and the dwarves a bit of insight on what life is like as a Hobbit.

Bilbo had agreed. He started by explaining Hobbit meals. You and the dwarves were intrigued. You found it fascinating that Hobbits eat seven meals a day rather than three and have TWO breakfasts instead of just one!

"What!? You've never heard of second breakfast?" Bilbo gasps.

You and the rest of the Company shake your heads.

"You know what? We should make our very own Second Breakfast here in Erebor!" Bilbo suggested.

The company, especially Bombur, agreed enthusiastically.

•••

Bilbo put you and Fili in charge of making pancakes. There were also groups of dwarves assigned to cooking bacon, toast, scrambled eggs, hash browns, sausages, and all the other essentials of a Hobbit breakfast.

Luckily, there is still lots of food leftover from Laketown as well as a large supply of cooking utensils in the kitchens of Erebor. Everyone began working together to gather the supplies, before splitting off in groups to accomplish the assigned tasks.

"(Y/N), watch this!" Fili grabbed hold of a frying pan and began flipping the large pancake he was making.

You watched as it did several flips before landing perfectly in the pan.

You began clapping, amused at Fili's new found talent. He jokingly took a bow as if he had finished a great performance.

"Do it again Fee!" You cheer him on.

"Alright let's see..." Fili places the finished pancake on a plate beside him.
You pour a fresh round of batter into the pan.

Fili waits for the first side to cook before attempting to flip it. He tosses the pancake into the air. Unfortunately it doesn't land the way he intended. The pancake flies across the room, hitting Thorin in the face.

The room falls silent. You make eye contact with Kili from across the room. You both have the same smirk on your faces from trying to hold back laughter. Seeing this, Fili playfully swats at you with a spatula, splattering you with a shower of raw pancake batter. Bilbo, who stands next to Thorin, carrying a tall pile of dishes, looks as if he might faint.

At first, Thorin looks angry. He lifts the now broken pancake from his face and removes a couple pieces from his hair before taking a bite. His expression shifts from irritated to surprisingly delighted.

"Fili... this is delicious!" He exclaims, "I never knew my nephew was such a great chef!"

Bilbo sighs with relief and gives Fili a nod of approval before continuing with what he was doing.

You use your finger to wipe a drip of pancake batter from your forehead and put in your mouth, not caring that it's raw.

"He's not wrong, Fee! This does taste pretty good!" You lightly punch Fili's shoulder in approval.

Fili smiles, swiping his finger through a puddle of batter running down your cheek. Hesitantly, he tastes it.

Fili shrugs his shoulders, "Not bad for a first attempt at second breakfast!"

You use a spare dish towel to remove the remaining drops of pancake batter from your face before taking over the job of flipping the pancakes.

Fili pours a perfectly round pool of batter into the frying pan and you begin to cook it.

Your competitive nature has got you itching to beat Fili's perfect pancake flipping skills. A brilliant idea pops into your mind.

You toss the pancake high into the air. With the frying pan still in one hand, you perform a flawless one-handed cartwheel, catching the pancake softly in the pan as you return both feet to the ground.

You feel many pairs of eyes on you. The other members from the Company stare at you, mouths gaping open after watching your jaw-dropping stunt.

"If you think that was cool, watch THIS!" You shout, enjoying being the centre of attention at the moment.

You chuck the entire frying pan, pancake and all, into the air. You smirk, diving into a front handspring and landing perfectly on your feet, catching the frying pan with one hand.

"Ta-da!!!" You strike a pose, raising both hands in the air.

A few of the dwarves start to clap. Others laugh, not knowing what else to say, finding your performance extremely amusing.

"When did you learn how to do that!?" Fili grins, shaking his head in disbelief.

"I kind of just taught myself when I was a kid. I attempted a lot of stupid things when I was younger. Luckily, I was successful in learning a handspring." You shrug, "I'm surprised I've never broken any bones!"

"Ha! You still do stupid things, (Y/N)! That hasn't changed." Fili gives you a playful shove.

•••
*Author's Note:
Stay tuned for Part 2! Coming soon!*