22: Training Buddies

The sound of clinking metal fills the room as you and Fili practice your combat skills, careful not to hurt each other. The other dwarves stand to the side of the room, watching as the two of you play-fight.

Fili wields his sword skillfully, pointing it in an attempt to "stab" you, but you block the shot with your axe.

You clutch the axe with both hands and do a diving roll across the floor. Fili's right side is now wide open. Before he can turn to face you, you make a slicing motion with your axe, stopping inches from Fili's body. The movement is controlled and precise.

"Woah!" Fili takes a step back as he turns to face you, raising his hands in the air to signal you've beat him this time, "Aaaaand... (Y/N) wins again!"

"That makes 2 for me in total! You may have won the first round, but it was best of 3, so game over, I win!" You smile smugly.

"I can't beat you, but at least I won against Kili earlier," Fili shrugs, trying to get a reaction out of his brother.

Kili sits in the corner, sharpening his sword, still pouting.

"Hey! That's not true! You cheated!" Kili shouts at his brother playfully, with a smirk on his face, but you know that inside he's still upset. He's always been a sore loser.

Fili just shakes his head at his brother and rolls his eyes.

"Anyway, moving on. Now that we're warmed up, how about we work on some strength training, (Y/N)?" Fili asks.

"That sounds good to me!" You reply enthusiastically.

You're only a half dwarf, but that doesn't make you any less strong than any other dwarf. You've worked hard, building up your strength over the years. Growing up, you used to feel inferior to the other dwarves because you were thinner, looking more like a human than a dwarf. On the other hand, your shorter height prevented you from fitting in with other human girls your age. Now, you aren't as bothered by it. You are stronger, smarter, and a heck of a lot more confident than you used to be.

There are beams running the length of the ceiling. Fili begins doing chin-ups, hanging from a one of the beams. You join him, grabbing hold of the next one over and pulling yourself up, facing Fili. You don't realize it at first, but the two of you are moving in synchronization. You make eye contact with Fili as you both reach the top of a chin-up, peering over at each other with the same smile before lowering yourself down again. Up, down, repeat. Your arms start to get tired, so you decide you'll do one last rep before moving on. This time, at the top of the chin-up, Fili leads over and kisses the tip of your nose. You giggle, your grip beginning to slide. You release your hands, jumping and landing softly on the floor.

You and Fili complete various exercises for about an hour. The last exercise you choose to do is squats.

"I bet I could do this while carrying you, (Y/N)," Fili boasts.

"I'd like to see you try!" You laugh.

"Alright then. Jump on my back," Fili says.

You jump up, holding onto Fili's shoulders. He grabs hold of your legs. He does a couple squats with you on his back. You're impressed with how strong he is. Fili's form is perfect.

"Hold on tight, (Y/N)!" Fili smiles, taking off into a sprint, giving you a piggyback ride around the room.

"Woah!" You put your arms around Fili's shoulders to keep from falling off.

Fili finishes a lap of the room before gently setting you on your feet.

"Ok, my turn!" You smirk.

"You're going to lift me?" Fili questions.

"Yes." You say matter of factly.

Fili hesitantly jumps onto your back. You hold his legs around your waist and start to run. Completing a lap of the room in record time.

When you return to where you started, you crouch so Fili can come down.

"I've got to admit (Y/N), I'm impressed!" Fili smiles.

You playfully flex your biceps, making a face as if you're admiring your own muscles, sending Fili into a fit of laughter.