5. Interference

Tartarus (POV)

Tartarus: great hell on earth. Residency to those who have committed the heinous of crimes whilst alive. A deep abyss filled with nothing, but sorrow. Here the condemned are force to undergo a never-ending cycle of torment and despair.

And I, Tartarus the governor of this godforsaken place. A feat of the utmost worth suited for one with exemplary caliber such as myself. Death, despair, greed, rage I've seen it countless times. The recurrence of these themes are nothing short but crude. I've grown tired of this bleak, desolate ordeal. But yet, the cycle continues to repeat itself time and time again.

As I get ready to escort the new batch of prisoners into Tartarus I cannot help but find myself engrossed by images of the frail girl I've taken captive. A beauty, most indefinitely. As soon as I laid eyes upon her I had decided I'd use her as mere chattel to relieve my pent up frustration, but something stopped me. Something inside of me desired her entirety both body and soul. She was different from the others. She was awfully young and innocent for my liking, but perhaps that's what piqued my interest. In all four hundred years of my time no woman has gravitated I as much as she.

Just the mere thought of it makes me sick. I, a powerful deity succumbing to a woman, preposterous! I should have taken her life right then and there, but it's far too late. I've already become victim to her peculiar nature. Although she wishes to return to her mother's aid I felt no apathy. I already have the fair maiden sealed within my grasp and those who stand in my way will not be spared. Not even her own mother if the time comes.

Yet Aphrodite is precisely the issue. Known for her quick-wittedness she'll surely use every ploy there is to steal her from me. Lately, there's been talks of her staging a war these past few days. How absurd! What is that woman possibly thinking?!

"Guards come forth!" I announce with absolute authority.

"Yes your sire" responded my third in command with the utmost calmness.

Narrowing my eyes in a cool fashion I asked, "Have you received intel regarding Aphrodite?"

"Your sire, there's been talks going about that Aphrodite is orchestrating an upcoming war against you. She's even gone as far to proposing a proposition to the one that delivers her daughter away from your grips."

I grit my teeth at the words directed to me. "What impudence! Does she really believe that she can take me head on?! She does not possess the strength nor the resources for combat. In addition to Ares: the god of war on my side, she stands no chance."

"Your sire, it seems that she has gotten the consent of her husband, Poseidon: the god of sea, to proceed with the initial stages."

"Impossible, Poseidon will never agree to go along with that plan of hers even if she is his muse" I snickered.

"Sire, these are nothing more than rumors circulating around that have yet to be determined of their authenticity."

Sighing I reply "Very well then. And what of her daughter?"

"From what we've gathered Achelois is the sole daughter of Aphrodite and Poseidon."

"Achelois "I murmur rehearsing the vowels that rolled off my tongue.

"And....."

"It is said that due to her mother's extreme dotting she was prohibited from stepping foot out of Olympia however Achelois disregarded her mother's decree by venturing down to earth presumably as an act of rebellion."

"Hmph she can't even keep her daughter under control yet she wishes to defy against I!" I grumbled.

Even so, it was due to Aphrodite's constant overbearing I was able to gain possession of the frail maiden. And with that I thank her, I thought with a smirk creeping through the corners of my mouth.

"Guards bring the woman named Achelois into my chambers in the next hour!"

Kneeling down in one knee the guard responded "Without question, sire."

But before I could say anything else we were interrupted by a large knock.

"Come in" I commanded.

"Your sire we have just received word that Achelois is planning to escape along with another prisoner."

"The audacity!" I shouted. I could feel the veins popping out of my neck, but before I would do something I regret I calmed myself.

"Where did you hear this from?" I asked in a cool voice, but my rage seeped through.

"One of the cattle had overheard Achelois and another discussing their plan, sire."

"Bring forth this cattle you speak of."

After a few moments my guards returned accompanying a timid young man. His eyes begins to widen as I made way towards him and he quickly brings his head down.

"Bring your head forward, livestock."

The man slowly lifts his head and is paralyzed with fear as he meets my gaze. I became irritated by his actions as I have yet to inquire what he's overheard my chattel discussing.

"I hear that you have news worth my attention. Correct?"

"Yes my lord" the man frantically speaks.

"What is this news you wish to speak of?" I ordered with the utmost command.

"Yes my lord!" squeaked the young man. "I... ughh h..happen to over hear the new prisoner you brought in conversing about leaving. From what I gathered she happens to have some means of escape."

Curiosity seeped through as I awaited the man's answer. "Continue" I ordered.

"The woman, Achelois I believe plans to escape at sunrise by opening up a portal down to earth, but there are limitations to her power. Apparently she must have a clear view on what she wishes to transport herself to."

"Who did she plan this escape with and when was she planning on executing her plan?"

"With the redhead prisoner, Phoibe I believe. She wishes to administer her escape at sunrise once the guards go down to retrieve your offerings from the sacrificial villages."

As the man finished I became enraged. I would have placed a limiter on her collar had I known she awakened her powers, but nonetheless. A sudden fury engulfed me as I try to control my body, but it was no use. I couldn't believe my ears on what has been said to me. My skin was boiling and my throat became parched. She was just as foolish as her mother. How dare the thought of escaping cross her mind. Unable to hold in my anger I grab the man by his collar and despite his pleading I burn him alive until he is nothing more than ash.

With a wicked laugh, "Very well then. I'll have the chattel go forth with her plan. Once she believe she has made her escape I'll snatch her back into reality. Until then do nothing out of the ordinary until I say so otherwise" I motioned to the guards.

If she thought her life was hell now she is surely mistaken. With that I head out envisioning the torment I plan to afflict once the events unfold.

If you liked this piece please comment and vote! :)