18. A wandering heart

First thing first I would like to thank ruth_arts for the idea of this chapter!

Note: This is unedited, so read at your own risk

Achelois (POV)

"Where did you get this?" Tartarus asks of me.

I was speechless. My voice did not dare come out for I knew I could not explain myself out of this.

"Achelois!" he said causing me to jump.

"It... it was a gift."

"I'll ask again, where did you get this?" he said, narrowing his eyes at me.

"From my mother" I said slowly keeping my head down.

At that moment he pulls my arm towards him and removes my armband before letting me go. He clenches onto the armband eyeing it carefully.

"G...give that back" I pleaded, but he pays me no mind as he continues to stare at the armband.

Finally he releases his hand letting my precious armband fall to the ground. Just as I reached out to grab it a gust of wind encloses it leaving behind pieces of shards in its stead.

"I'll get you a new one after the ceremony" he says.

I was furious. The only item I had to remember my mother was forcefully taken away from me. And before I knew it I hurled myself towards him with my arm raised back. I thrust my hand forward with all my might, but before I could make contact against his face he catches my wrist midair.

His eyes filled with enmity are fixated on me with my wrist still in his grasp.

"Let me..... go" I grunted trying to free myself from his hold.

"What were you about to do with this, little one?"

Tartarus now lifts my arm, bringing his head face to face with mines.

Quickly reality had struck me. There was no way I wasn't going to be punished for my actions. Not only for this, but also for my performance at the council.

"You see your mother for a short duration and all of a sudden you become insolent."

"That's not true!" I interjected.

"Then what is?"

"She raised me and ... I love her." I quietly state.

His expression remains hard. He then brings his hand over to my cheek and begins stroking it.

"She must've raised a fool then. (Sighs) I'm beginning to see that perhaps our engagement was indeed a mistake."

"A mistake?" I whispered out confused.

His words stung me and soon I began to weep. He lets go of my arm and walks out the room leaving me all alone to cry by myself.

Narrator (POV)

Tartarus walk into one of his private study to find his right-hand guard, Doreius slouched against his chair.

Tartarus (POV)

"What brings you here?" I said exasperated.

"What? I'm not allowed to visit my longtime friend?" Doreius answers with a smirk on his face.

"I don't have time for this. Leave!"

"Aww, what's got you all so worked up, Tar?"

How dare he acts so cordial with me! My eyes go dark as I walk over to him ready to burn him alive for his impudence. Sensing my intent to kill he swiftly evades my attack then bows his head with his arm stretched out.