26. Invasion

Achelois POV

Today will be the day I'm set to go to Arcadia. This will be the first time I'm allowed to leave the premises with approval from mother. I should be happy, content but I could not bring myself to feel so. Something I wished for my entire life and now that it's here I would rather much stay in my room.

On the other hand mother and father seemed very pleased with this trip. They say it would be a nice change of scenery and have gone to planning places to sightsee while we're there. I didn't want to worry them needlessly, so I silently complied with their ideas.

It has already been a few days since I last spoken with mother of my captivity in Tartarus. I didn't fully disclose the full details on my stay nor could I bring myself to. I will never regain the ability of flight and my powers were reduced to such a measly state I was stripped of my ranking as goddess. How could anyone do this to another individual? I was saddened and disgusted not only with him, but myself.

Though he had had bewitched me I couldn't believe I was easily fooled by the curse. I even agreed to bear his children and the thought of it made me sick. I was nowhere ready to be a mother and if it weren't for my own I'd surely be there awaiting my next torment.

Out of all the horrors I had to endure there, I couldn't help, but feel a tremendous amount of guilt for leaving Phoibe there to suffer all alone. How foolish was it for me to make empty promises of freeing her from the purgatory. Even while I was with Tartarus I had no say or free will of my own. She was a dear friend and now I have abandon her. I want to help her, but even I know that is wishful thinking.

I began to grow nauseated and soon curse myself for being so powerless. I knew in order to move on I needed to put this all behind me, but how could I if it were due to my own recklessness that brought all this about? Even so I knew I wouldn't be able to change anything on my own, but perhaps mother may be to? Could she possibly retrieve Phoibe? No, what am I thinking after my escape Tartarus for sure would have tightened his security. Then should I offer myself up as collateral?

Suddenly my mind grew weary of the thought. It is then I realized my own selfishness. I who had practically ruined Phoibe's life couldn't even bother giving myself up for her. Soon another sea of uneasiness had engulfed me once again.

I had to take my mind off this for now. I got up from my room and took out a novel to read. Reading has always calmed my worries and I hoped it'd do the same now. Going back to my escritoire I sat down and proceeded to read a novel dealing with war and peace. It didn't do much to ease my discomfort for it was much too depressing for me to continue on.

I then heard a loud bang and quickly arose from my seat. Just as I got up I felt a pair of arms wrapped around my waist pull me backward.

"You shouldn't be reading this" the deep, accentuated voice murmurs into my ear.

My whole body froze dropping the book out of my hand. This voice, this feeling, no it couldn't be?

I am soon turned forward face to face with the man responsible for all my troubles.

"I've missed you little one" he exclaims while bringing the rim of his nose at the dip of my neck.

"It's alright I came to get you" he said.

Snapping myself out of reality I screamed trying to get away from him.

"L...let go of me" I yelled as I continued to scream and struggle out of his hold.

He quickly turns to me with a shocked expression which soon turned sour. His grip on my waist now begins to tighten and I screamed louder than before.

All of a sudden the entrance to my room swings open and father comes rushing in. He uses his power to hold Tartarus in place with a twine of water and I use this chance to dart out of my room.