22. Mother knows best

*Day 5 of the enchantment*

Achelois (POV)

~Dream~

The tapping of small footsteps echoed across the corridor. A heartfelt smile graced my face. A door opening, a fleeting touch. The warmth of his arms draws me in only to be pulled into a larger embrace by two lively children. It was a faultless scene filled with laughter and glee, one I wished would never end.

~End of Dream~

I was awoken by a sudden jolt pushing me out of my dream. Batting my eyes open I find a pair of big brown eyes watching over me. A girl with dark, red hair suddenly emerges and comes into view.

"Phoibe!" I gasped.

I was thrilled to see her again, but my affection was short-lived when I recall all of what has transpired between us. I lowered my head in shame when I witness the freshly cut bruises engraved onto her skin.

"I'm sorry" I murmured.

"No, don't be. After all I was also at fault and if it weren't for you I without a doubt would not be standing here today" she answers with a large grin.

"You're covered in bruises!" I shrieked.

"That is true, but I'd prefer that to my life. What's more I'll be serving you from now on."

"I do not understand Phoibe. I attempted to liberate you from here, but Tartarus would not permit me to do so. He told me you were um... in possession of another" I said glancing over the red markings visible on her skin.

"Yes I am still subjected to the urges and yearnings of my master however Tartarus had specifically ordered that I serve you from dawn to dusk?" she exclaimed cheerfully.

"What will become of you after dusk?" I inquired fearing the worst.

"I'll be used to please master" she quietly uttered.

It pained me to see Phoibe reduced to this state. She did not deserve this, nobody did! I will try once more to persuade Tartarus without fail after all we'll be life partners. Surely he could spare me this one request.

"Do not worry, Phoibe. I promise to get you out of here and reunite you with your beloved Myron" I assured her while placing my hand over hers.

"Thank you" she murmured.

Shifting my sights to my surroundings I noticed I was back in my room. When did I get here? How long was I out? I couldn't help, but feel disappointed I never got to say my farewell to Melita. No, I'm certain I'll see her at the ceremony.

I gasped, it is already past dawn and more importantly the day of Tartarus and I ceremony. I was excited and nervous at the same time. Today would be the day we would finally become one. Enthralled in my thoughts I wonder what Tartarus could be thinking. Was he nervous as well? Delighted? Or...

As I am contemplating a woman comes into view. My eyes widen and my chest tightened. It was the same woman I had found engaging in an intimate fashion with Tartarus.

"I'd love to frolic alongside you too, but I'm afraid we hadn't the time to waste" she said slyly.

"Wh...what are you doing here?" I whispered.

"I was asked by Tartarus to assist in your binding preparations" she ushered his name innocently forgetting she had willingly engaged in the illicit affair.

I felt disgusted and heartbroken. How could Tartarus allow his mistress to partake in our ceremony? Before I could lament any further I was cut off by Phoibe.