The Crossing (12/16)

"Now, now, that's enough. You can't ask so many questions at once. No one can answer that way. Why don't you change your clothes and wash first? Then you can help me to get the mushrooms for the lunch."

"Yay!!" They shouted, running to their room.

Galahad could finally freely breath.

"I'm sorry, they are sometimes too energetic."

"It's alright. They startled me, yes, but in a nice way. In the school, I have met only stoic kids. They surely weren't playing like this one."

"Hmm, you sure seem to be a nice person," said the bat. "I'm Moriana the Bat, among the people I'm known as a witch, but no worries. I can make herbal trees and ointments, not magic."

"Even if you would have been a witch, I'm sure you would be kindhearted. Any friend of lady-sir Eclipse is surely honest person." He was still unsure whether to use lady or sir in Eclipse's case and his upbringing was ordering him to use it.

Eclipse giggled and Moriana smiled, she will have so much fun teasing him. Not to mention, the sooner the better. "So, have you already found your sweetheart? I can imagine many girls falling in love with you."

His face shown a little blush. Bingo! "Well, I already have someone."

"It must be a really sweet girl."

He decided to say it. "Not really, he is a herm."

The bat was surprised for a bit, before smiling. "Like father, like son. So there will be one more Darkling in the family."

"He isn't Darkling," he had to say it, hiding it won't bring any good. "His name is Mephiles the Crystallian."

Moriana's expression gradually moved from a smile to terror. She looked at Eclipse who only nodded. She snapped. "You gotta be joking!! He is a monster!"

Eclipse put a hand on her shoulder. "Galahad knows about what happened and Mephiles has changed."

"You mean you are fine with it?!"

"I don't want to dwell on the past, I wish to look for the future. And Mephiles seems to truly change, I want to give him a chance." Eclipse's eyes were honest and Moriana sighed.

"If you say so."

[** The castle market – an hour or so ago **]

Lancelot arrived some time ago, but he still hasn't found what he wanted. He was sure he saw it here... maybe the last month or so. He actually thought it's disgusting, so he hasn't paid it any attention. His glances made other people shiver, after all, he was in a bad mood. 'Maybe I'll ask someone.' There was just one problem, he had no idea what to ask. He didn't know how to describe the thing since he saw it only for few seconds.

As he was walking the buzzing street, his attention was caught by big and tall purple cat. "Mister!" he called him catching his long and open sleeve.

The cat, who was at least two heads taller than Lancelot, turned to him. His face seemed to be empty to expressionless. His fur had purple tones and he has worn really unusual triangular hat with clothes he hasn't seen yet. It looked like a long colorful bathrobe. "How can I help you?" he asked politely.

"Can you tell me where did you buy those clothes?"

"Those are from my country."

"Can I get something similar on this market?"

"I do sell them."

"Show me your goods. There may be the thing I'm looking for."

"No problem. I'm glad to help."

Together they headed to a different part of the market.

[** Back to the house – present **]

"Amyce, Magnus! Let's go!" called them Eclipse. "You can show me the herbs you have learned to recognize while we are looking for mushrooms!"

"Yay, mom!" called her Magnus with Amyce right behind him. They were excited because they loved to explore the forest with their mom. He always showed them so many interesting things. Each child had own straw basket and they were betting who will find more mushrooms.

Everything went fine. Eclipse showed them his secret places and pointed out what to be careful. He was particularly looking for one type of mushroom. He usually found plenty of them, but this time there was none.

"Hah, there it is! Kids, come here!" he called them seeing them a few meters behind him.

"What's up, mom?" asked Amyce who was first to arrive.

"Look what I have found!" he gestured to a mushroom with a red hat with white dots.

"Mom, that's toadstool!" said Magnus. "It's a poisonous mushroom!"

"Yes, you are right. Why do you think it has such bright hat?"

The children thought about it. They sure haven't heard anything about it. Mom always warned them not to eat it. After a while, they only shrug. "Maybe so it can be easily avoided?" pondered Magnus.

"That's right!" added Amyce.

"Yeah, that may be the truth, but..." Eclipse looked at it. "Maybe it just wants to be noticed." The kids looked at each other, not understanding. "I mean, it's poisonous mushroom so everyone is avoiding it. I wonder if it feels lonely."

"It's just a mushroom. It doesn't have any feelings," argued Amyce. "Mom, aren't you over-thinking it too much?"

Eclipse scratched his quills. "Well, it just got me thinking, it may have such bright color to gain an attention even if for a bit. It may help it to feel less lonely if everyone will look at it."

"Mom, you talk so strangely," noted Magnus.

"Yeah, it just reminded me someone close to me." He stood up, looking at his children.

"You mean sis?" whispered his daughter.

Eclipse nodded. "Yes, she told me she is terrifying you." They were fidgeting. Eclipse squatted, putting one hand on their shoulders. "I know. We all were surprised and your hearts are still full of uneasiness from it."

"But those eyes..." murmured Magnus. "They are scary."

Eclipse smiled a bit. "Were they scary a year ago?"

They looked at him surprised and they shook their heads.

"I thought they are pretty," shyly added Amyce.

"Aalis is still Aalis, no matter what happens. I'm not ordering you to like her. I'm only asking you to see her for who she really is, as a parent that loves his children."

They nodded, hugging their mom.