Chapter 1

LUCAS

Summertime is the worst time to be burying a family member. Everyone's happy, everyone's out busy tending to their backyard gardens, having BBQ's and children run around all happy.

It would have been better to bury her in the winter rain.

Nevertheless I'm headed to New York for the summer. I can't stay at our house, I can't stay surrounded by her memories, her smiling pictures on the wall. Dad was already having a rough time after mom passed away, now after losing my sister Dad could barely get up in the morning. It was all too much, too much for all of us to bare.

I had to get out. At least just for summer break.

I booked a flight to New York where one of my old college dorm-mates lives, he promised me that I would forget my troubles at the beaches, in the clubs and the bright lights of the city. I could hardly resist his offer and reserved two tickets one for me and my fiancé, thinking she would be happy to go away for summer break from university.

But it was in vain; she had booked up her scheduled with extra classes in the hopes of getting closer to graduation. Jaime was eager to get married but her father said he'd only pay for the wedding after graduation, it was an offer we both couldn't afford to lose.

She came with me to the airport, fully supportive of my decision to visit my dorm-mate. She knew how much I was struggling, how much I needed to get away from my fathers house, and how much this loss was affecting me. Everywhere I turned I saw my sister, in the windows of the shops, I heard her laughter in the wind.

In truth I was eager to marry Jaime; of course I loved her but if I was to be honest I knew I literally couldn't live without her. Her family came from money, I was dirt poor. The only reason I got into school was because of a scholarship from swimming. I was good swimmer.

I knew life would be much easier and less painful with Jaime. Her family was like a second family to me, she was by best friend growing up. I had no one else except my sister and Jaime during school. I would get picked on for being poor, for being too tall and too skinny.

Jaime and my sister stood up to all my bullies; Jaime would come looking for me in the boys bathroom after I would get beat up for almost anything. She would let me cry on her shoulders, she would comfort me, until finally in senior year she confessed she loved me.

I loved her too, I did... I had to.

And I decided to propose to her, I mean there was no one else who loved me after my mom died. Dad lost himself, my sister was sick and everyday she grew worse until she passed away.

Jaime was all I had.

Boarding the plane I sat in the front row of economy class, finally getting a seat on a plane were my long legs could stretch out some. I put my oversized headphones on and waited patiently, unfortunately I was not seated next to the window but in the aisle seat, so I began to people watch everyone coming inside.

A girl with orange-red hair walked in, her eyes were a shiny hazel and she noticed me staring for a second but then quickly walked passed me towards the back. Her hair reminded me of a sunset sky; I returned my eyes to my phone and began skimming through YouTube.

The plane took off and I fell asleep at some point.

But suddenly I was woken up by a jolt, my eyes burst open by a stroke of panic yet I tried to calm myself thinking it might be turbulence. I looked around at the rest of the folks on the plane and noticed the same expression; worry.

The plane was shaking and jolting, the quiet murmurs got louder until suddenly my stomach dropped and the plane felt as though we were losing altitude quickly.

The screams in the cabin pierced my ears, luggage's fell from the overhead and eventually I felt the tip of the plane went into a straight dive. The motion was quick, we were heading straight down and the force of gravity lifted me off my seat, I had forgotten to put my seat belt on but not that it mattered anyway, we were all going to die. I flew out of my seat and my body tumbled backwards towards the plane, hitting some people and seats on the way until I was able to grab onto an empty seat. That's what I noticed the orange haired girl in the next seat, our eyes met and she slowly lifted her arm up against the force of gravity and held my hand in a tight grip.

A few seconds after she did so though, the plane jolted once again through the intense turbulence and both our bodies were tossed to the back of the plane. Her back hit the back wall and I landed on her chest.

I knew at this point we must be seconds from reaching the bottom.

Lilly.....I'll see you soon...I prayed in silence to my dead sister.

SKYLAR

"WE'RE ALIVE!" the passengers screamed and cried and families hugged each other, the noise was unbearable but I would rather be deafened than dead.

I don't know how it happened, how we made it but I did see how close we got to the ground yet the pilot was able to bring the nose of the plane back up and we have continued to glide steadily.

"Folks we are going to land this plane at the nearest airport,please bare with us.." the pilot sounded extremely shaky on the speakers.

I didn't want to move, my back felt like pins and needles from the impact. Even if I did want to move I couldn't, this man was passed out in my lap.

This was the guy who stared at me when I walked in, oddly enough I found myself smiling as I looked down into his peaceful face. I called over a stewardess, asking if she could help me get him back to his seat. Naturally she was busy attending to some one who had broken their nose so I just waited until she was done.

I sat and waited, my hand pushed back his hair. He was hot and slightly sweaty.

We would land soon, I hoped, his body was heavy and my legs were falling asleep.

Thank you for reading! This chapter might be a little slow and boring but it does pick up! Please feel free to comment and vote thank you!!! ^_^