Chapter 16

SKYLAR

Misha left with Jason. She asked if I was alright going back with the other two, of course I didn't mind. I was rather happy for her and her new found love interest.

Misha rarely let her guard down around handsome guys like Jason. But he seemed different, like a true gentleman.

Connor, Lucas and I took a subway back into the city.

We were all hungry so we quickly found a spot to eat, although I could tell the atmosphere was rather awkward.

I don't know what those two were talking about on the beach after I left them on the shore. But they didn't come back to our spot for a while, and when they did Lucas' cheeks were red as though Connor had smacked him.

Lucas' phone light up and vibrated on the table. I guess...his fiance.

I sucked up my soda too quickly and hiccuped.

"Sorry...I'll be right back." Lucas said and got up taking the call, he walked out of the pub and talked on the sidewalk.

Connor sighed heavily and leaned his back into the wood booth, "Lucas is an idiot." he pouted.

"Huh?" I was confused, why would he say that?

Connor continued but he talked as though he was speaking more to himself than to me, his blue eyes lacked their usual shine and luster.

"He's not honest with himself, with his feelings." He spoke in a low murmur as he watched Lucas from the window. After a long pause he sighed heavily and straightened his back.

Finally Connor's eyes met mine and he smiled, "Sky..."

His hand reached across the table, his palm opened for mine.

"I like you..."

His smile widened making his eyes wince at me. I felt myself blush deeply, my fingers twitched.

LUCAS

"...and so I was thinking we could just do a quick ceremony in my backyard. Father said that .."Jaime continued and but it felt like I barely heard a word. It wasn't properly registering in my mind.

I'm getting married. I am really getting married.

The woman I will lose my virginity to is Jaime.

Jaime.

My best friend, whom I've known since before I could recall any legitimate non-hazzy memories.

It felt like someone was squeezing my heart through my chest, a cough escaped me.

"You ok?" Jaime asked over the phone. She then continued to talk and propose plans to me all of which I hummed my approval over the phone.

"...Lucas?"

"Yes?"

"Is everything ok? I feel as though...you're being distant."

I chuckled softly, "Well we are very far apart" I joked. But she didn't laugh.

"That's not it..." she sighed, " I really miss you, you know."

She left the last words hanging, so that I could continue with the words she expected me to say. But in actuality, I didn't miss anything about my life in SLC.

Not my dad, not my house....not Jaime?

"I do too..." I bit my lip as I lied.

Somehow, I was afraid that she could sense me and my lies.