Chapter 5

LUCAS

Skylar sat next to me on the shuttle bus. I let her take the window seat. We were so tired and the drive there would be a long one.

I crossed my arms to get comfortable and put my headphones on after sending a quick text to Jaime.

I'm on the bus headed to JFK.

I also sent one to Connor letting him know I'd be there in a few hours. I listened to some calming piano music and drifted off, but the road was a bumpy one and my ass was too sore.

First the plane, now this bus... will my ass ever be comfortable? I groaned to myself.

I took a quick glance over at Skylar, she was fast asleep I could hear her deep breathing.

Her head moved around, swaying with the motions of the bus. I dozed off for a bit until I felt her warm cheek land on my shoulder.

"Uh..." I woke up startled, but with a sigh I let her sleep soundly on me. I knew my shoulder must be bony but I'm assuming it's better than having her head land on the window glass.

I gave into my temptation and let my cheek rest on her head. She was a comfortable pillow, I could smell her hair.

Pineapples.

My body felt a shake and I rose up from my seat faster than lighting; afraid that I was still on the plane, afraid me and Skylar were going to die.

"Lucas? We're here.." Skylar got up, her face twisted with worry, "I'm sorry I didn't mean to scare you I was just trying to wake you up."

I caught my breath, "I'm fine," I said more to myself than to her, I had to reduce my heart rate before I passed out from fear.

It was raining but it was also really hot, steam rose from the sidewalk.

We grabbed our things and got off the bus and headed into the terminal. Supposedly our bags would be waiting there for us, but the airline said it could possibly take a day or two to arrive.

We were greeted by waves of newspaper reporters and the media. Camera's flashed us everywhere; The Lucky Survivors, I heard someone say.

Skylar kept her face to the floor watching her step as we entered. Some people stayed and gave a few short comments to reporters, but I followed Skylar inside.

"Wow it's a circus out there." I said whistled in surprise, I turned to her and smiled.

"There really isn't much to tell them, it was an accident and everyone's ok what more do they want?" she laughed.

I shrugged and we made our way to the luggage claim. I had a bad feeling that I would be left without my clothes.

"You didn't claim any did you?" I asked her as I watched very few bags make their rounds.

"Nope!" She smiled at me.

This would be where we part ways then, and as the thought dawned on me I felt empty.

"Lucas?" her brows furrowed in concern again. She took a step towards me but before she could say anything else, loud footsteps echoed through the hall and I was nearly tackled to the ground.

"LUCAS YOU LUCKY SON OF A BITCH!" Connor yelled at me in a powerful embrace I nearly spun around and lost my balance.

"Connor! Hey!"

I was so happy to see him.

"Oh my god! Don't get angry but I told everyone," he laughed, then his eyes shifted to Skylar. "Who's your friend?" he ask out of breath.