Chapter 19

***Video is just what I imagine Skylar playing when she's sad***

LUCAS

I had fallen asleep in some part of her enormous penthouse.
Recalling my thoughts I must have wondered around until passing out somewhere, in someone's bed.
Looking around the room however, it just appeared like your everyday guest room, if you put aside all the luxuries.
I woke up to the sound of music, specifically a piano.
Wondering if it was my phone ringing, I picked it up and noticed 23 missed calls and 15 texts from Connor.
Only one text from Jaime.
It was 10:32AM

I skimmed through his messages:

WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU
YOU WENT HOME WTH SKYLAR DIDNT U?
DUDE WTF?!?!
I'm sorry I know you're not that kind of guy..
Come on man, I'm worried about you!!

I opened my texts and sent him something to calm him down.

Hey don't worry nothing happened, I took her home and passed out on the couch. I'll come back to the apt soon so leave the door open.

I opened Jaimes texts:

I don't think I'll be able to get through all these courses soon... it's too much.
I told dad that I'm post-poning graduation, so the weddings post poned, lets talk more when you get back.
Love you, take care

My heart sank, I needed to call her.
The phone went straight to voicemail, "Jaime... call me as soon as you get this"

The piano music continued, I followed it into a large open room. It was fairly empty in terms of furniture.
A large black piano stood by the window, Skylar was the reason behind the sound.
I quietly watched her play from the doorway, not making a sound to not disturb her as her fingers danced across the keyboard.
The music, although beautiful was quite sad, it tugged at my heart, at the feelings I was holding back inside me.

If heartache had a sound then Skylar could play it.

Just as I thought she'd finish she looked up startled by my sight. Her fingers missed notes and she quickly stopped.
"G-good morning Lucas, sorry did I wake you?" She closed the piano.

"No-I mean yes but," I approached her and sat next to her on the bench. She must have been wary of me, she moved further away as I sat beside her.

I didn't like her distance, I thought we were closer than that but I understood why her guard was up.

I was drunk last night and did something I shouldn't have, regardless if I was with Jaime or not.

I shouldn't have kissed her hands, her arms or neck. There was no consent as far as I remembered, and I was wrong to be angry at her for stopping my advances.

She had every right to hate me, I was surprised at how normal she acted.

"...I like the song you were playing, it's sad but it's pretty.."

Skylar slowly allowed herself to smile at me.

"Do you know how to play too?" Her head tilted to the side.

I shook my head no, Lilly could play and she was the reason I grew to love it. I clenched my chest, feeling her locket between my fingers and my shirt.

Skylar noticed but averted her eyes, I let got of the locket.

"Do you want to learn a song?" She asked with a soft voice, I knew she was trying to make the air between us not as awkward.

I allowed her to show me some keys, granted my fingers were clumsy and I slipped rather quickly. Before I knew it we were giggling at my awkwardness.

" I'm sorry I'm terrible at this," I laughed and she took her hand and placed it over mine. That gentle warmth of hers spread throughout my body.

" Here like this,"

Her fingers guided me, honestly though I didn't care about the beautiful sound we made. I focused entirely on her touch, she hummed sweetly along with the tune.

" See?" She grinned at me, happy that I was following her lead.

I didn't want to stop, I could play with her all day.

I felt close to her, the warmth within her hand was like a fire that ignited me right in the heart. This burning pain was pleasurable.

My phone rang in my pocket and I excused myself from Skylar.

I went out on the large terrace, it was Jaime.

" Jaime, I'm sorry I'm such an ass sometimes. No wait, all the time... but I don't want you to post pone anything, graduating and the wedding-"
I was stumbling over my words like crazy.
I want her to be happy, that's all I want for her.
Even if it meant... that I would just be settling.
Yes even that, I owed her my life.

"- it's what you've wanted, you worked so hard for this.."

She didn't say much she let me ramble.

"Jaime ?" I wondered if she was still on the phone with me.

A short sigh escaped her, "Who's Skylar?"

My heart stopped.