Chapter 27

SKYLAR

The metal door opened, police took hold of me and Connor and rapidly put us inside an ambulance.

" Please ... help Lucas please ...! He's still down there ... please" I was shaking, everything was blurry and not the enjoyable kind like in the clubs.

I was put on a stretcher but I kept my head up, I kept looking around for Lucas.

" It's ok miss you'll be ok we are taking you to the hospital" the EMT said as she put the oxygen mask on me.

I shook my head, " No ... we need to wait for... Lucas..."

The last thing I heard before passing out were gun shots.

LUCAS

I woke up in a hospital bed. The pain was excruciating.
Apparently I had some stitches on the side of my stomach where the guy, Marco, stabbed me.
I was lucky the doctors said, that he didn't puncture any major arteries.

I looked to my side and Connor was there with a black and blue eye. He smiled at me.

"Hey man, how you doing?"

I smirked at him, "You were right... you really are a shitty tour guide."

We laughed, but I couldn't laugh too much afraid the stitches might tear.

"How is she?" I finally asked. I was so grateful that we had gotten to her.

Connor handed me a ginger ale " She's good ... that bastard broke her hand though but she'll pull through,"

"Is Misha with her?"

Connor nodded, " Yeah ... and with her mom... and dad,"

I nearly choked on my ginger ale, " That asshole... it's his fault..." I still had strength in my body, I felt myself try to crush the can.

Connor took it from me " Dude chill... the police did end up finding him after we left the Chinese place. He had some of the money and was on his way to Marcos when they caught him."

" That still doesn't make this ok!" I shouted.

"I know I know, just calm down. She's fine. We're all fine."

"And the guy? Is he...did the police...?" I couldn't say it, I couldn't think about the loss of someone's life, no matter who the person was.

Death is too final.

But Connor smiled, "He survived, the police wounded him but he should be fine too. In jail that is..."

I laid back in my bed, I wanted to see her and confirm with my own eyes that she was ok. But I knew I had to give her time with her family.

"She knows you're ok too by the way, she wouldn't stop asking everyone ..." Connor chuckled.

"Ugh you guys are disgusting,"

He shrugged and continued, " Are you finally going to tell her now?" He eyed me with his usual raised eyebrows.

I sighed and gazed at my hands, IV's were plugged into me.
"This time I will..."

Connor threw his hands up in the air dramatically, "Hallelujah!"

I tossed a pillow at him, "Shut up!"

But in truth I was happy, I hadn't felt this happy before in a long time. Not since before Lilly's death.

This time I won't run away, this time I will make the decisions I want without worrying about what other's expected of me.

I knew I would have to go back to UT, I knew I would have to apologize to Jaime and her family that I could not marry her. But my friend was right, it is better than living a lie.

There was a knock on the door.

"Come in," Connor advised, a sweaty nervous and thin man walked in.

This has to be Angelo, Skylar's dad, I could easily tell by the choppy mess of red hair on his head. Although to be fair he didn't exactly look like a dad, I wouldn't guess he's over 40. He seemed fairly young underneath his brown glasses.

"Y-you must be L-lucas..." his voice was surprisingly high.

I instantly didn't hate him anymore, in fact I pitied him. He looked like he'd been through hell.

"I'm A-Angelo...Skylar's father," he continued to stammer. Connor turned to me, his expression was the same as mine, what the fuck?...

"I just wanted to thank you," he coughed when he noticed our expressions. "There was no excuse for the things I've done, but without you ...and your friends, I don't think Skylar would be breathing right now..." his eyes got watery and he began crying silently.

"I've begged Skylar's forgiveness, and I just want to apologize to you formally....I'm so s-sorry.."

I sat up from the bed, "You know...Skylar means a lot to me." I looked to my friend, "And to our friends."

I couldn't imagine life without her, I couldn't bare to think what would have happened if we didn't show up to find her. "Don't ever disappoint her again." I spoke sternly, but relaxed my face to him.

Although he is a person of blame for what happened, I knew that he would never intentionally put his daughter at risk.

He simply nodded, said a few more sorry's then left.

"Man, he's awkward." Connor joked.

"Yeah, but he seems sincere."

"Get some rest and I'll come pick you up in the morning. You should be able to go home." Connor fist bumped me before walking to the door.

"I have to find a new flight," I mumbled, damn that sucks...another airline ticket.

"Already done mate," Connor sent me a text with the flight info, "I got it this time." He winked at me then left.

I checked my phone and realized my flight was the day after tomorrow. But there was still just one more thing left for me to do.