Chapter 9

SKYLAR

Lucas shoved the guy away and he stumbled into the crowd. I clenched my hands close to my chest, my heart was racing.

I was embarrassed. So terribly embarrassed. This was the second time this happened.

An arm wrapped around me, it was Connors.

"Hey you alright?" he peered into my eyes."I'm not taking my eyes off you anymore."

He seemed genuinely concerned.

"Connor..." my voice croaked. He smiled warmly at me, the flickering lights danced in his blue eyes.

"Let's get her some water." Lucas said, he came over and looked at me, but I didn't want to face him so I turned away and hid myself into Connor's chest.

They walked me back over to Misha and Jason.

"You ok? I heard some rukus back there." Misha asked, I embraced her like a small child would do their mother. I was growing sleepy by the minute.

"Yeah, just some jerk."

Lucas came and handed me a plastic cup of water, "Drink." he leaned in, trying to look at me, this time I couldn't avoid his face.

My hands felt lose, I was afraid to drop the cup. His eyes peered right through me, in that moment I wish he could hold me too.

Connor took the cup from him and held it, "I think you drank too much. Sorry..."

I shook my head, "It's ok, it's my fault I should have been more careful."

I drank the water and left the empty cup on a window sill. After a while I sobered up a bit more, and I wiped away at the excess of mascara off my eyes.

"Lucas, I'll be back I'm going to piss. We're calling a cab when I get back." Connor walked off and got lost into the crowd.

Misha was able to get Jason to dance, and although he eventually gave in to her demands he did dance awkwardly. My shoulders bounced as I laughed watching them.

"He really is a goofball," Lucas commented. "Poor guy can't dance," he put a beer bottle to his lips.

"You dance better than that?" I laughed pointing at Jason, he seemed drunk but was having a good time. His legs were wobbly all over the dance floor.

"Oh are you kidding me? You haven't seen nothing."

It was as though something inside Lucas sparked, then again he seemed more confident after a few drinks if I recalled the day before we shared margaritas.

He extended his hand to me, "I'll show you my signature moves"

I took his hand and he led me to the dance floor.

Holding my breath I let him twirl me around and dip me. He kept his hands at reasonable distances on my body, nowhere too south and his grip was very lose. Nothing like Connor who held onto me tightly.

But his hands, when they latched on to mine felt secure. Like connecting puzzle pieces.

They changed the songs, they were getting slower. I think the DJ was trying to thin out the crowd, it was nearing 4AM.

"Ah yes, this is my jam." Lucas said and he placed his warm hand behind my shoulder humming along with the song.

He twirled me to fast and I lost my footing tripping into him.

"Oh sorry!" He stammered as he grabbed my arms and held me up, I looked into his eyes. He was leaning forward, his forehead almost touched mine.

I could see his black eyes looking all over my face, I found myself doing the same, admiring each corner of his handsome face until finally noticing his lips.