Chapter 11

LUCAS

"Gahhh I can't believe I wasn't there to say goodbye," Connor grumbled. I met up with him after leaving Skylar, I couldn't be kept in the apartment by my self.

"You realize you have her number right? you can just text her."

We took a seat by Rockefeller center, the crowds were thick.

"It's not the same, I can't see her cute face when I text her." Connor pulled out his phone anyway and I saw him type something, her name popped up.

I didn't want to see what he said, it was obvious he was smitten with her.

"So what's the plans tonight? Anything in particular you want to do?" my friend asked me, he fanned himself with his hand "Jesus it's hot."

I shrugged, "I am at your mercy."

We sat in silence for a moment before he broke it, "I feel bad if I see Skylar again. I mean you're here to hang out and have fun not to be a 3rd wheel for me," he laughed and looked down at his phone. She had not responded.

"I don't mind."

I really didn't, I really...could care less.

"She said she wanted to make it up to us...you know for last night anyway."

Connor looked up at me with a hopeful expression.

"She said that?"

I nodded, "Yup, so I recommended dinner."

Finally she texted back. I didn't look but he typed away at her for a few seconds.

"Alright, let's get back I need a shower."

He got up and we headed to the subway lines.

Connor was always two steps ahead of me.

SKYLAR

Is it asking too much if I want to see you again tonight?

Connor sent me a text not much longer after I had left his apartment. Lucas must have told him that I wanted to make up for last night. I smiled at my phone.

It's not, we  can get dinner.

I responded. I should had added an 'all' in my message.

I needed a part time job for summer, so I went back to SUNY and filled an application for their cafe and book store. They told me they would call me the next day or two to let me know my schedule.

I didn't want to go back home, not yet. Instead I took the subway and headed more north towards Harlem, to see if my dad was at his apartment.

It's been months that he hasn't responded to my calls or texts. I wanted to see him, to see if he was alright.

He had a very bad gambling problem and lost everything, it's why my parents split up.

I reached his apartment, it was in a really shitty area the kind where you don't want to be walking around alone late at night especially if you're a girl.

The hallway was dark and dingy and smelled like urine but I reached the top floor and knocked on his door.

I heard nothing.

I knocked louder but still nothing.

"Come on..."

Something told me he was in there, I tried the doorknob but it was locked.

"He hasn't been here for days,"

A tall man came out of nowhere and stood right behind me. He was huge and intimidating almost like a bouncer at a club. "Do you know him?" his voice was deep and scary, I felt my knees shake slightly.

"Uh...he's my dad. Sorry who are you?" I asked, clutching my purse to my side.

He turned away from me and disappeared down the dark hallway.

What the hell was that?

I pulled out a piece of paper from my bag and wrote down my number with a note saying please call me and slipped it under his door before leaving.

Upon arriving to my mothers penthouse, I took a shower and wrapped my hair in the towel. Mother and Edward were both out so I had the place to myself.

I went into the great room and sat in front of the large piano.

I had missed playing, uncovering the keyboard I placed my fingers in the similar position of the last song I tried to play.

My phone buzzed before I could make any noise.

I hope you like Korean!

Lucas sent me a text with a smiling emoji. My mouth curled into a smile instinctively. Just a small text, a small sentence from him made me happy.

I realized then that he would also be coming and I felt the butterflies inside my stomach flutter.

With a deep breath, I placed my fingers on the keyboard again and pounded away at the piano. The deep rich sound resonated loudly in the great room, I pressed harder and louder almost too loud that I could feel my body vibrate.

It was enriching for me.

I went back to my room to pick out my outfit.