Chapter 15

LUCAS

A rush of panic, fear and dread fueled the adrenaline in my body and I ran as though I have never ran in my life towards the shore.

I dove straight in after her. Connor wasn't able to get further out, he had his limits. He was a jock not a swimmer.

I used my long legs and arms and hurdled through the strong waves until I reached her body. She didn't move, I assumed she had some water in her lungs.

I brought her back to the shore, the life guards were just running towards us but they were still too far away.

I gently set her body down on the sand, "Move!" I told Connor to give me space as I opened her mouth a little and began CPR, I couldn't wait for those damn lifeguards.

We were just on time though, she spat out the water quickly. Her eyes found mine and tears began to roll down her cheeks.

"Skylar? You're alright you're ok..."

She hugged me tightly, her arms wrapped around my neck so tightly it could snap me in half. But I didn't want her to let me go. Not yet.

Running my hand down her back I soothed her with words, repeating that everything was ok.

Yet all I kept thinking about was her lips against mine.

I closed my eyes to imagine them pressing against me while she sniffled and sighed into my neck.

SKYLAR

It seems every time we go out, something bad always happens and it's because of me.

"Ugh..." I groaned as Misha wrapped a towel over me.

"I am so sorry Sky, I didn't know you couldn't swim." Connor said, he felt incredibly guilty for coaxing me into a swimming race. "I wouldn't have-"

But I had to stop him, it was my fault not his. " Don't I was stupid, I was just trying to impress you."

He wrapped his arm around my shoulder for warmth, "You don't need to..." he said softly, his head leaned on mine.

My cheeks blushed against my will. I didn't want to meet Lucas' eyes.

I owed him so much, basically my life.

When I woke up and saw him, I wanted nothing more than to be in his arms. I didn't want him to let me go and I knew he felt it. He carried me up like a bride and brought me back to our towels.

"Do you want some water?" Lucas crouched in front of me, he was still shirtless and water droplets clung to his body. I don't know why he would be ashamed of himself.

To me , I thought he was very handsome and cute. His black hair was wet and shiny in the sun.

"Yes, please..." I muttered. He got up and dug a cold bottle from one of the coolers to hand to me.

I took it from his hands and felt my fingers graze his. He didn't flinch, but neither did he let go of the bottle.

My eyes met his again, his eyes look so terribly sad and concerned....

"Lucas?"

It was as if I woke him up from something, he flinched and let go of my fingers and the bottle.

"No more swimming!" Misha confirmed, "unless we have our floaties." she commented, trying to brighten up the somber mood.

The rest of the day, Connor Lucas and I played around near the shore. We build sandcastle with our hands and searched for seashells to decorate them with.

For a moment I was alone with Lucas as we looked around for more shells.

"I can't tell you how much I am thankful to you..." My heart felt like pounding out of my chest.

Lucas stopped walking, I turned to him.

"Skylar... I was so afraid," he fidgeted with a shell in his fingers.

The guilt was eating me inside, "I'm sorry, I was careless I-"

He hugged me again. I could never get enough of his hugs, and still I wanted more. I wanted more than that with him.

It hurt so much knowing that it could never be so.

"Don't be sorry, I'm just happy I got to you in time." Lucas' voice was so gentle, so sweet and sincere. If I didn't pull away from him I would start to cry again.

I held my breath, my hand pressed a little more on his back. As I did this though I felt him tense up from my touch.

"S-sorry," I stammered and attempted to pull away, but he brought me back into his chest.

"Don't." his voice was firm. "Don't...let go."

His voice grew into a whisper I could almost not hear against the crashing waves. It was as if time and space had stopped and all I could hear was my beating heart and his breathing.

Our bodies resonated with each other, in those moments my brain confirmed what I had thought to bury away all this time I had spent with him.

I was falling.

"Ahem.." coughed Connor when he walked back to us. "Sky..."

Lucas' immediately let go of our embrace and proceeded to walk away from me and pick up shells.

"Misha...wants to ask you something."

I hurried away towards my friend. Looking over my shoulder I saw Connor in front of Lucas with his arms crossed.