Chapter 7

As I arrived home, I put my dead phone on the charger. When it turned on, my phone was blowing up with notifications from the twins, Percy, and an unknown number which I'm guessing is Denver's. I sighed then placed my phone down on the table, choosing to ignore their messages. I headed into the kitchen where my nanny Ella was sitting at the table with my best friend Carter. Noticing me as I tried to sneak past the kitchen, she called out to me. "Grey darling, would you come here please." Those words flowed elegantly out of Ella's mouth. As kind as she was to me, I couldn't tell her no. She raised me like she was my mother and I couldn't disobey her. "Carter would like to ask you something," she smiled before she got up and left the kitchen.

"Carter-"

"Vee, let me ask first since I already know the question you're about to ask."

"Fine," I pouted.

"Would you like to go with me somewhere?" He looks at me expectantly.

"Sure!" I smile. "Now, can you please tell me what my dad is like?"

"He'll kill me if I tell you. Now, when you change put on something fancy," he smiled.

"Ugh! Fine," I reluctantly gave up, for now. This isn't fair. I've grown up seeing other kids with their parents and then there's me without any. We don't even have pictures of them hanging up, so I have no idea of what they actually look like. They pay for this house, even though they're never here and it gets lonely at times.

"So, Veronica tell me about your trip ."

"Well there's not really m-much to tell-" I was interrupted by my phone ringing in the next room. "Please excuse me for a moment," I said politely leaving the table to grab my phone. Percy was calling me.

I decided to answer and heard "She answered," followed by a lot of noise in the background. After a bit of arguing over who should talk to me first the phone went silent.

"Where are you?" Nya growled as her tone of voice showed that she was visibly upset.

"Please, just leave me alone," I said, shocked at the words that left my mouth. Not knowing what else to say, I quickly ended the call. Returning back to the kitchen, I took my seat across from Carter. He smiled brightly showing his pearly whites before I spoke again. "Uhm...now, where were we?"

"Right," he paused for a moment to remember what we were talking about before asking me a question. "How was your trip?"

"It was good, I guess," I said hoping that satisfied his question.

"Oh? Then how come you left from your trip?"

"Uhm...well...it's a long story."

"Then you can tell me everything on our way there. Ella, Veronica and I will be heading out in a few," he called out to her. Sending me upstairs, I changed into a frilly off the shoulder white dress with white gladiator heels and a white clutch.

 Sending me upstairs, I changed into a frilly off the shoulder white dress with white gladiator heels and a white clutch

Heading downstairs, Carter's jaw practically dropped before regaining his composure. I don't know why he's so surprised though, he told me to dress up because we were going to a fancy restaurant. It's called 'Le goût du Monde' and the food there is supposed to be really good. The whole car ride was silent, but a peaceful silence.Unlike the arguing that was happening at the cabin. I hate it when my friends fight, especially when it's about me. Carter caught my attention when he closed his door after getting out of the car. I was about to do the same when he came over to my side and politely opened the door for me. Heading into the restaurant, Carter gave the hostess his name and we were seated.

Carter caught me up with things that were going on in his personal life. He is being forced to take over his father's job in a few weeks but he won't specify the job. However, he did invite me over to his house to meet his cousins that are going to spend the week at his house. "So about you leaving early what happened?"

"So...I met this guy-"

"Oh...What's he like?"

"Mysterious, and kinda cute." I blushed at the thought of Denver

"So what happened between you guys?"

"I had met him through Nya and Myke and ever since then, Nya has been acting different."

"Different how?"

"She wants me to stay away from him. She and him argue with each other almost all the time because apparently I'm his mate. Like...what does that even mean?"

"He said he was your mate? What's this guys name anyway?" Carter asked becoming increasingly interested.

"His name is Denver." Carter looked in complete and utter shock. "What? What's wrong? Do you know him?"

"Nothing," he said tight lipped. "I'm sure everything will work out in the end. Anyway, my family and I-" he continued talking to me about his vacation. That was weird. Out of all these years I've known him, I've never seen him act this way before. Maybe I'm just overthinking this whole thing. By the time we were finished eating, I had completely forgotten the events of this morning. Carter and I were laughing and telling each other jokes like we usually do and I was sad when we had to go.

"Well Ms. Grey," he started off. "I had a wonderful time with you tonight."

"As did I with you kind sir," I said in a joking manner.

"In all seriousness, I really did have a great time with you and I hope that whole situation that you were dealing with gets better. Don't let it keep you down, alright?"

"Y-yes, sir," I said fighting my little instinct. Dropping me off at home, I entered through the front door where I was greeted by four faces in my living room. Just when I thought my Christmas was going to end well. "Hello everyone..." My voice trailed off.

"Veronica," Daddy's voice boomed. "Where have you been? And who was that boy I saw in that car with you?" He questioned as there as a hint of anger and jealousy in his tone.

"His name is Carter, he's super nice and he's cute," I gushed. Suddenly, Percy was standing close to Denver. For what reason, I have no idea.

"You are not to hang out with any boys. Do I make myself clear?" He barked out his demand, however, I was not pleased. I don't particularly like being told who I can and can't hang out with.

"Why not?" I questioned, pressing the subject.

"You are mine. That's why." He snapped at me. I don't know what happened to me, but I went into big girl mode and snapped back at him.

"One, you are not my boyfriend. Two, Carter is my best friend and that's it. So, who are you to tell me that I can't hang out with him? "

"I'm Daddy," he said smirking. As much as I wanted to blush, I fought the urge as I was determined to get my point across. "And what I say goes," he continued.

"Three, I belong to no one. Just because you are my daddy doesn't mean you can tell me who I  can and can't hangout with. And since you are not my boyfriend, you are not allowed to touch me." I smirked as the twins gasped at my words.

"Little girl!" Denver said lunging towards me. In a matter of seconds, he was tackled by Percy in an attempt to keep him from coming close to me. The twins came with me upstairs while Percy dragged Denver home. I changed my clothes and laid on my bed. The twins cuddled with me while we watched movies. Maybe today wasn't completely ruined.