Chapter 27

It's been a month since my last encounter with Joy. During that time, Denver has become Alpha and Carter has been under close watch. I really feel bad for him. It's not his fault that his mate is a psychopath. He's been told that if he ever comes in contact with her, to lure her into a false sense of security in order to prevent any harm coming to the pack. He just found his mate and now he has to stay away from her. I can only imagine how he feels. Walking out to the training area, I witnessed Myke training newcomers in combat. It made me reminisce back to my first fight. Poor guy. "Veronica," Denver called out to me. Following the sound of his voice, I was led into the woods.

"Daddy?" I called out, growing slightly nervous.

"Baby girl! What are you doing over there?" Denver said coming from inside the house.

"You had just called me from over here," I stated slightly confused. The crunching of leaves from behind me gave a scare and resulted in me darting straight towards Denver. Running into his arms, he growled at whatever was behind me before taking me back inside the house. Sitting outside Daddy's office, I listened in on his conversation with Jackson.

"Dad, I might have to send her away," Denver said sighing.

"How come?"

"If anything happens and we fall under attack, I don't want her to get hurt. I want her and our pup as far away as possible from here," Daddy expressed with hints of worry in his voice.

"She's a big girl, she can handle herself out there you know," Jackson expressed trying to get him to reconsider.

"I love her too much to lose her again. I'm not taking any chances. If anything is to happen-" and just like that a loud siren went off. "Shit! Dad, please grab Veronica and get her as far away as possible." Not allowing that to happen, I took off running outside. Stepping outside I witnessed fights happening all around. I was punched straight in the back sending me tumbling to the floor. I was flipped over before I felt someone climb on top of me.

"Hi, girly." Her wicked smile spread across her face. Punching her in the face she rolled off of me, allowing me to get up. Sending a kick to her face, her head flung back as her nose began to bleed. "You fucking bitch," she shouted as she charged towards me. Just as I prepared myself for my next attack she was knocked to the floor.

"Carter?" I said shocked. He harmed his own mate to protect me. Climbing on top of her, he pinned her down before handing me a needle.

"Inject her now!" He demanded as he yelled so that I could hear over all the fighting. Taking the needle, she began squirming underneath Carter as she tried to get away.

"LET ME GO! I'M TRYING TO SAVE YOU. PLEASE DON'T DO THIS...don't you love me?" She asked as tears began to form in her eyes. Carter began to look as if he was having an inner battle with himself. Looking down at Joy, I could feel the magic she was trying to use to persuade him to let her go.

"CARTER DON'T FALL FOR IT, IT'S A TRAP," I yelled grabbing his attention. I could tell that he was fighting not to fall for it, but was losing this battle. As she began to struggle even more underneath him, I injected the needle into her chest. Pushing the gold-ish liquid into her system, Carter began to fall out of his spell.

"We need to go now," Carter said once he regained his composure. Grabbing my hand, he placed me on his back as he shifted while we took off running.

"Where are we going?" I asked as I held on tightly to Carter. Not answering my question, he continued running. After what felt like hours, we finally arrived at a wooden cottage. Once we had come to a stop, Carter allowed me to climb off his back. After transforming back into his human form, Carter led me into the cottage. The inside was bigger than it appeared to be on the outside. The place actually looks really cozy with everything from the furniture to the style of the house complementing each other. "Why are we here?"

"It's not safe for you back there. Denver and I both agreed that if anything were to happen, I was to get you as far away as possible." He sighed as he ran his hands through his hair.

"But why? I could've stayed and helped everyone fight," I argued.

"Veronica you're pregnant. Denver and I weren't just going to let you endanger our children."

"Y-you know that one is yours?" I asked a bit shocked.

"Of course I knew. Marian told me. At first, I was upset that you didn't tell me. Once I got over it, I realized that maybe you had a reason. Whatever it may be. Since the beginning I could feel a connection with them," he said as he sat on the couch.

"When can I leave?" I asked quietly with my head held lowly.

"Just depends on how well the situation goes. Anyway, there are all the necessary things you need. Someone will come by once every week with a restock of food toiletries and anything else you need." Getting up, he headed towards the door.

"Wait! Where are you going?" I rushed to him.

"For your safety, Denver and I are not to be anywhere near you. I'm really sorry it has to be this way, but I promise that the moment everything is safe we'll come and get you." He reassured as he caressed my face with his hand.

"P-pwomise?" I said tearing up. I didn't want to be alone, and goddess knows when I'll be able to leave this place.

"I promise baby girl." He smiled as he wiped the tears away. "Don't worry, this place is only temporary. After the twins are born you'll be moved somewhere else where you can take care of them properly and allow them to live a normal life." It broke my heart so much that I was being taken away from everything I cared about. All of this because of that day. That stupid day. The day I met Denver and became his little. The big bad wolf's little. Before leaving, Carter gave me one last hug before reassuring me that everything would be fine. Leaving me all alone, I explored the cottage for an hour before picking out my temporary room. Crawling into bed, I let out all of the tears that I had managed to hold back earlier.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi, my Lil beans. We're nearing the end😢 and I just want to say thank you so very much to all of you who stuck around throughout the whole book💖. I can't stress enough how much all of you mean to me☺️. This has been one crazy ride and I'm so glad that you all love this book so much😍. Anywayz, remember to stay safe and to always stay awesome.
                              Much love,
                                          ✨🛎