Chapter 16

Denver's P.O.V.

After our many rounds of mating, my little princess fell asleep. She looked so peaceful and innocent even though she wasn't that innocent anymore. Looking over my shoulder to make sure she was still asleep, I threw on some sweats and headed towards the infirmary. Almost everyone was outside training allowing me to maneuver through the house easily. I reached my destination and looked around before pushing the door open and closing it behind me. No one was here so I went into the medicine cabinet and took a morning-after pill. Closing the cabinet, I began to quickly sneak back to my room when I bumped into Carter. "Where you headed?" He asked.

"To mind my business," I said rolling my eyes. We used to be friends until he started developing a habit of wanting what's mine. First with Evy, and now with Veronica.

"Then, why are you coming from the infirmary? Is Veronica hurt?" He asked with worry evident in his tone.

"No, she's not. Why are you so worried about her? She's not your mate and she never will be."

"She's my friend and I can worry about her if I-" he paused and started sniffing around.

"What?" I asked annoyed.

"You didn't...?" He asked with his eyes wide.

"Mind your business, Carter. What I do with my mate and your future Luna is none of your concern." I pushed passed him before making it back to my room. Closing the door behind myself lightly, I noticed that my beautiful baby was still asleep. Her long wavy hair was tossed all over the place as she moved in her sleep. I headed into the bathroom and started getting a cup of water ready for her to take the pill when I heard-

"Daddy?" Followed by her cries. Immediately, I rushed out of the bathroom and picked her up before looking over her to see if she was okay.

"What's wrong, princess?" I asked while rubbing her back.

"Hurts," was all she mumbled. I guess she's back in little space. I carried her into the bathroom and tried to set her on the counter so I could start her bath water but she wouldn't let go of me. She whined and clung onto me for dear life so I held her as close as I possibly could as to not drop her while starting her bath. Once it was ready, she let me put her in the water and sat there for a minute before relaxing. I knew this was probably my only chance to get her to take the pill before it was too late, so I told her it was a pain killer and she didn't question it. I was thankful for that, but I also wanted to punish her for just taking something that she was given without asking about it. I shrugged the thought off after she took the pill and started to bathe her. Once she was all clean, I wrapped her up in a fuzzy little towel before laying her on the bed. I showered her with kisses all over her face which caused her to giggle and put a smile on my face.

*knock* *knock* *knock*

Of course, our moment was ruined. Damn! Can't I just be with my mate? Carter was at the door. I could smell him before he even spoke. He told me my father was looking for me but didn't take his eyes off of what's mine. Would it be wrong if I killed him? "Go get the twins and tell them to watch her. Even though you are going to my 3rd in command, I just don't trust you to be alone with my little girl," I said pushing past Carter.

Soon enough, I was with my father in the training area. He was telling me how border patrol was going and giving me tips on how I should keep the schedule changing so that it doesn't become a routine when I saw Veronica tackle Nya to the ground. I thought they were playing around until Nya shifted and got into her fighting position that I know all too well. I decided to use our mate bond to help Veronica as much as I could before Percy finally broke them up, with my baby girl covered in blood but at least healing. Carter carried her into the infirmary while Percy held his mate in his arms while my father yelled at him.

"Dad that's not fair! He has no control over how she acts. Besides, it's my fault for breaking a promise to her. For marking her best friend..." I trailed off.

"Go clean her up," my father sighed in defeat. "EVERYONE GET BACK TO TRAINING!" He shouted, knowing that everyone in the training area had stopped to watch the fight. Under the Alpha's order, everyone resumed their training with mild whispers about what could have possibly caused the fight.

"I'm going to go check on my mate," I told my dad before heading towards the infirmary. My baby girl was hurt because of me and my stupid decisions. As I ventured down the hallway, I noticed something strangely odd out of the corner of my eye causing me to stop. Scarlet red curls? No one else in this pack has ever had scarlet red hair except for one person. My heart began to pound in my chest as I grew closer to the girl. The girl's lightly tanned skin certainly resembled her, but it couldn't be her because she's dead. The girl must've sensed my presence because she turned around. My heart felt like it was going to burst as I was her standing before me. It was Evy, looking just as stunning as I remember. I closed my eyes and opened them hoping it to be some sort of mistake, but it wasn't. It was really her. I ran to her and hugged her tightly before pulling away. "I must've lost my mind because it seems like I'm seeing a ghost."

"You haven't lost your mind. I'm right here. I faked my death two years ago and I know it was wrong of me to do so but I just needed to get away. I need to be free, but now I'm back and I feel so much better. I'm so sorry for all the heartache I possibly caused you." She gave a weak smile. I was at a complete loss for words.

"I'm just glad you're back. You have no idea how much I've missed you," I whispered the last part while hugging her. I let go of her propping myself against the wall. I really can't believe this. It's really her, though, her smell is a little off. Her eyes locked on to something and when I turned to look, Veronica was leaning against the doorframe her body still weak with one lone tear falling down her cheek.

"Shit," I muttered before heading towards her to explain myself when she took off down the hall. I chased after her not wanting her to get hurt. All I wanted was a chance to explain what happened, but she wouldn't let me. "Princess, stop! Come here." She kept running, so I used our mate link to try and talk to her. 'Ember where are you going?'

'Far away from you. You're the reason I lost two friends already. I didn't ask for this life, and I sure am not going to be played,' she scoffed before blocking me out.

I yelled in frustration before ordering that there be some men out looking for her with me leading the charge.