Chapter 24

(A few hours later)

Since my mother is a witch, I thought I'd bring this up to her. Pulling up in my parents' driveway, I noticed the lights were off in every room except the dining area. I opened the door and headed toward the dining room. Stepping into the dining room, I saw my parents having a conversation with Alpha Jackson. Alongside him sat Alison. "Why is she in my house?" I growled as I grew closer to her. Mom stepped in between us and pushed me back while Alison hid behind the Alpha, whimpering.

"Dear Veronica, long time no see," Jackson says with a slight smirk on his face. I don't know what he's planning, but whatever it is, it's not going to happen. Not responding to his comment, I kept my eyes trained on Alison. "Have you and your mate finally made up? He was sent away from the pack until you two did." I looked over to the Alpha with a confused expression. "I'm guessing that he didn't tell you that until you two get back together, he cannot take over the duties of being the Alpha for the pack," he stressed. A little stunned, I stood there looking at Jackson with parted lips. How could you do that to your own son? Feeling a light pulling on my arm, I was led down the hallway towards my mother's office.

"You normally don't come over, so we weren't expecting you. What did you come over for, dear?" She asked as we arrived in her study. Explaining to her that both boys said I smell different, she sniffed me to see for herself. "You do. It's almost like a sweet smell, no one would be able to tell," she said half excited and disappointed. After asking what's the matter she sighed. "My beautiful daughter, you're doing so good in life," she smiled. "But you will be surprised by what will happen next."

"What do you mean by that?" I asked her, with confusion laced in the questioned. Why does everything have to be a riddle with this woman? Surprisingly, that's one of the things that hasn't changed since she went back to her real self. She stayed quiet, not answering my question. "Is there any possibility that someone could, I don't know, maybe mask themselves as someone else in a person's eyes?"

"It's entirely possible. Though, you'd have to be a witch in order to do that."

"Is there any other witches besides you in this pack?"

"Besides the possibility of you I don't-"

"Could you see if Alison has any magic on her? Something's been nagging me the whole time that Denver might have truly thought he saw Evy."

"Will do," she smiled lightly before leaving. I began to look around her office that contained bookshelves full of books. Still quite curious about the new 'sweet smell' emanating from me, I began to look for a book about it.

'There,' Ember said as she noticed a particular book. "In odorem lupus est," the title read. What's this? Opening the book, I took a seat in my mom's chair as I began to read. I skim read through a few chapters until I stumbled upon something that caught my eye.

"During a female wolf's pregnancy, the scent emanating from the wolf also tends to change. Though the change in the scent is not noticeable to other wolves, the mate of the said wolf is able to tell a scent change in their mate. Often the mate of the pregnant wolf describes the scent change as sweet or..." The chapter continued on, but this was the part that surprised me the most. Sweet smell...the book says you gain a sweet smell when you become pregnant, which means... Oh, my goddess. If Denver noticed the scent change, according to the book, then the pup is his.

"Technically, that's true," she said standing next to me. I didn't notice her come back into the room.

"You can hear my thoughts?"

"Did I need to? I just inferred based on the situation that was presented in front of me." She smiled, winking at me.

"So I'm pregnant with Denver's pup since he could smell the change in scent." Just finishing my sentence, a moment flashed into my head.

"Why wou sniff me, papa?"

"You smell different. Are you wearing a different perfume? You smell sweeter than usual munchkin." Shaking my head, he sighed. "Maybe I'm imagining things," he says as he directs his attention back to the movie.

"Wait," I paused allowing my mother to raise her eyebrow in suspicion. "Carter could tell my scent change as well. However, in the book, it says that only the mate could tell the scent change."

"Well, this book is pretty old. So my best guess is, your having a child from both."

"Twins with two different fathers?" She replied by nodding her head. "How is that even possible?"

"Believe it or not it's a real thing. It's called Superfecundation and is a result of two ova from the same cycle being fertilized by sperm from two different acts of intercourse. In my opinion, I think it's really amazing because it is fairly rare and leads to twins that can have two different fathers." She smiled.

"Did you pick up anything on Alison?"

"Oh, yes. So after you scared her, I tried to comfort her and that's when I read her mind. She used magic to manipulate Denver into thinking she was his dead mate." I was speechless.

"Oh, goddess," I said with my hand in my hair. After a few more words we headed back towards the dining area where Jackson, Alison, and my father sat eating their food. "Would you like to stay and have dinner with us?" After telling my mom another time, I left. It's not that I didn't want to eat dinner with my parents, but having to sit and eat dinner with the girl who slept with my mate, not a good idea. Heading back to the twins house, everyone was sitting around the living room having a heated discussion about me. Spotting me, Denver made his way over and began to smell me. My heart began to slightly race as worry slowly began to spread throughout my body.

"I could've sworn that you smelled really sweet," Denver said backing away from me. Carter then proceeded to do the same.

"You really did smell different, but now you smell like you," he said with a hint of worry and confusion hidden in his expression.

"It's n-nothing. It was just a new perfume that I used," I lied trying to play it off. "Denver, do you mind if I talk to you for a second?" I asked nervously. Agreeing, he followed me to my room while everyone else remained downstairs. Before closing my door, I peeked to see Carter with a saddened expression on his face.

"What did you want to talk about, Veronica?" He said in an exhausted expression.

"How come you didn't tell me your father won't allow you to be alpha without me?" A little stunned, he thought carefully before responding to me.

"I didn't want to make it seem like I just wanted to use you because that's not what I want. I actually want to be with you Veronica that's why I didn't say anything to you. I knew that if I told you, you'd just push me away even more. I wanted to gain your trust again, so go ahead and do your worst. Go ahead and pick a fight with me-" cutting him off, I pressed my finger to his lips.

"Alison used magic on you to change her appearance in your eyes to look like Evy. I understand everything now. At first, things didn't make sense, but now it's clear that you wouldn't have cheated had you known it wasn't her. However, I'm still hurt to know that if you'd had a choice you'd choose Evy over me. I forgive you, but I don't think we should be together. Not until you get over her."

"I love you, princess," he pressed with sorrow in his voice.

"I know, that's why I'm doing this for us."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How many of you are shocked that Veronica is pregnant? I know I am, but that's what happens when you forget the pill. Anywayz, I hope you're having a good day and remember to stay awesome my lil beans.
                            Much love,
                                         ✨🛎