Chapter 29

When I opened my eyes, I was back in my bed. Did I oversleep? I need to get up and check on the girls. Although I told my body what I wanted it to do, it disobeyed me. "Up, are we?" His voice boomed in my ears. As my head began to pound I whimpered. "Oh, I'm sorry, sweetheart," he said as he sat on the edge of my bed.

"W-what happened?" I questioned. I can't recall what happened, only that I was grabbing my bag. After that, my mind draws a blank.

"Before I tell you that, may you answer me this question?" Nodding slowly in response he continued speaking. "Have you been taking care of yourself?" My mind drew a blank to that question. No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't come up with an answer. "I'm guessing that's a no then. Veronica, you know better than this."

"I was taking care of the girls," I muttered sinking underneath the blanket.

"That's no excuse to neglect yourself!" He yelled at me. I coward underneath the blankets as his voice frightened me. "I'm sorry Roni. It's just, what would Denver say. He wouldn't want to see you like this. None of your friends would." Bringing up everyone made me remember why I busied myself. I missed everyone so dearly that I occupied myself with other things to distract myself from thinking about them. "You need to get better if you want to see them again. Do you understand? Roni? Please don't cry." I didn't even realize that I started crying. I love everyone so much. I want to be with everyone again. I want my babies to have their fathers, and most of all, I want my life back.

"P-please," I said though it came out muffled due to me choking on my tears. "Please help me get better," I begged. Nodding, he helped me out of bed. Touching my side by accident, a slight pain went through my body causing me to flinch.

"Oh, I'm sorry. A-are you alright?" He asked realizing what happened.

"I'm fine, really," I said slightly smiling to ease his mind if only a little.

"Before you start to worry, I already fed and changed the girls. As of right now, they are in their crib so all you have to do is shower and then eat." He smiled as he helped me out of the room. As I headed into the bathroom he, headed into the kitchen to start on breakfast for us. After my shower, I stood in the mirror staring at myself. I looked horrible, with my face looking thin, as well as my body. Scars decorated the sides of my body from where cuts used to be. Maybe Jackson is right, I need to get better for my girls. They need me more than ever, I need to do better. After getting dressed, I headed towards the kitchen where a delicious scent made my mouth water. Sitting at the table, Jackson placed a plate full of french toast in front of me. My stomach growled as I began to shovel food into my mouth. "Full already?" He asked as I pushed my half-empty plate away. Nodding, a smile spread across my face. It's not that I didn't want to finish my food, but my stomach couldn't handle anymore intake. Once finished with his food, he took my plate away before washing the dishes. While he did that, I headed into the nursery. The twins started waking up from their naps. "What's their names?" He asked smiling as I was holding one twin. Picking the other twin up from the crib, he smiled. "This one is Denver's."

"How do you know?" I questioned as I took the baby I was holding to the changing table.

"She has some of the same features Denver had as a baby. I can also feel a connection with this one." Smiling I congratulated him.

"I'm glad you knew because her name is Devonica," I smiled as I finished up changing the first twin.

"So that one must be Carter's," he said in slight awe. "What's her name?"

"Acacia, her name is Acacia." I grinned as I placed her in the crib before taking Devonica from him so that I may change her as well. Both of my girls were so precious to me. Although neither one showed any of my traits at the moment, I know that both of them will grow into fine young women.

"Can I hold her?" He asked once I had finished changing her. Nodding I handed her to him.

"Can I ask you something?" I said as we carried the twins into the living room.

"Go ahead," he smiled as we laid the babies on a palette made of blankets on the floor.

"How come you're treating me so good? I mean, I had kids with two different men. Yet you treat both of my babies as your own, so how come?" I asked as I laid down on the floor next to my babies, admiring them.

"You didn't intentionally get pregnant Veronica. You aren't the only one at fault, but that doesn't matter anymore. These little angels are here, and I'm glad that they are. To answer your question, you deserve to be treated well. Don't ever forget that," he said smiling as he got up before heading into the kitchen. I remained on the floor, snuggling closer to my little ones as they took in their surroundings with big doe eyes. Acacia began smiling at me while Devonica yawned before falling asleep. I couldn't help but laugh. Even though they're twins, they couldn't be more different. Picking Devonica up, Acacia began to cry as I got farther away from her. Placing Devonica in her crib, she woke up only to start crying as well.

Running back to the living room, I wrapped my arms around Acacia before rushing back to the room. Placing her in the crib as well, both twins stop crying in unison. "Weird," I said shaking my head.

"What happened?" Jackson asked as he stood in the doorway. When did he get here? And how long has he been standing there?

"Uhm...I'm not  sure." To be quite honest, I don't actually know what happened. Maybe it was because I separated them?

"Alright. Well, I've got to get going," he started. Seeing my puzzled face he continued. "I know what you're thinking and yes we're still leaving. Just not right now, okay? I'll be back tomorrow Roni." He smiled as he headed towards the front door. "Remember what we talked about earlier," he said. Blushing from embarrassment, I nodded. "Take better care of yourself." He reminded one more time before he left the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey, Lil beans I'm making this a/n short. The pronunciation of the girls' names are Devonica (De-von-ica) and Acacia (Ah-kay-sha). Hopefully, that helps with their names. Thank you all for 19k reads I really appreciate it. Anywayz, remember to be safe and stay awesome my lil beans.
Much love,
✨🛎