Chapter 11

Third-person P.O.V.

"Because-"

"Because of what?"

"Because I don't think I can handle my mate dying again!" He shouted at her.

"Dying? Again? I'm not your first mate? I'm sorry I'm just so confused."

"Two years ago, I had my first mate. She was the most beautiful girl I had ever seen in my life at the time. Her hair color was scarlet red and I mean the actual color. It was beautiful in all its wildly curly glory. Her eyes were a vibrant green and her skin was golden. Her name was Evy. I was a stupid teenager back then and I did nothing but sleep around with other girls."

"Did you stop once you found out she was your mate?"

Denver bitterly chuckled before speaking. "Not a chance. I caused her so much pain, so much pain. Yet, she still loved me and I still loved her. It was how we worked. Until one day, we got into a huge fight. I had cheated on her again and she was tired of it, she was tired of me. She wanted me to reject her but that was something I wasn't going to do. She was mine and I'd be damned if I let someone else have what was mine. I knew she had fallen out of love with me, but I wasn't willing to let her go. She was out one night by herself training when she was cursed."

"Cursed with what?" Veronica asked as she sat on the bed.

"I don't know! No one knows," Denver said as he sat on the bed beside Veronica with his palms covering his face. Veronica felt a little hurt by the way he reacted as he talked about Evy and his love for her. However, she deeply felt for him as she saw the pain that he'd gone through by losing her.

"When did you know something was wrong?"

"The first time I noticed something was wrong..." he paused for a moment to think. "We were with our friends in the woods for a camping trip. Our site wasn't too far from the packhouse though. Anyway, we were all sitting around the campfire while Percy was telling us jokes. Eventually, Mykelle started telling scary stories while Carter prepared the s'mores. Everything was fine and going great, but I noticed Evy seemed a bit off. She stared at the fire the whole time and barely reacted to what was going on. Eventually, we had all went into our tents and fell asleep. I woke up in the middle of the night because I heard a noise. I thought it was a threat until I realized she wasn't sleeping beside me. I climbed out of the tent and realized that she was smiling."

"What's wrong with that?"

"It wasn't a regular smile. It was as if she were completely insane. She began walking forward towards the fire. I ran towards her and pulled her back before she could burn herself. She kicked and screamed in my arms as I pulled her away. Everyone heard and came out of their tents. De'nya screamed at me to let her go because she thought that I was hurting her, but I wasn't. She began yelling at me to let her go and shoved me. I accidentally dropped Evy and when she looked up, she was fine, but there was a golden glow fading from her eyes and no one seemed to notice I tried to tell them but they didn't believe me."

"What's the 'incident' you people keep referring to?"

"She kept trying to hurt herself after that. I didn't know what else to do, so I had someone be with her when I couldn't. It was so stressful because I still had to train to become alpha while making sure my mate was safe," he said on the verge of tears.

"Da-Denver. If you're not comfortable, you don't have to fin-"

"No! You asked so I'm going to tell you. That day I couldn't find anyone to watch her. She was back to her old self and I thought that things were getting better. She begged me to go outside by herself and although I didn't like the idea, I reluctantly agreed. Once she left the room, I mind linked with Percy and Carter and told them to keep an eye out for her, before I headed to my father's office because I need to speak with him."

Flashback

"Denver!" Percy and Carter said as they burst through the office door.

"What's wrong? Why aren't any of you watching Evy?"

"I had gone to the bathroom," Percy said.

"I had looked away for a split second-"

"How is it that you can't your eyes off of my mate any other time, but when I specifically ask you to watch her, you don't!" Denver shouted at Carter. The three took off running while many other packs members followed in the search for Evy. Hours began to pass with no sign of her anywhere. Just when all hope was lost, Denver noticed something floating in the water.

"Guys!" He screamed before jumping into the water. The closer he swam to the floating object, the more fear grew inside of him. Denver knew it was Evy. He grabbed her and swam back to shore before picking her body up and running as fast as he could to the infirmary where he waited to receive the news on her status. The doctor came out of the room and closed the door behind her.

"Is she alright?" He asked nervously. He loved her so much, so why couldn't he let her go.

"Denver, I'm sorry to say this, but she's gone."

"No..."

"The water she ingested filled her lungs and-"

"No.."

"She drowned."

"No! You're lying!" Denver he shouted.

"Sir, please calm down. I know you're upset but-"

"But what? My mate is dead," he cried. "What am I supposed to do?" He asked as tears stained his cheeks. The doctor stayed silent.

"Can I go in and see her?"

"I don't think-"

"Please," his voice cracked.

"Alright." The doctor agreed and opened the door to his dead love. Denver entered the room and took a seat beside her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The funeral was a few days later and I never stopped feeling that guilt. De'nya won't let me forget either." Denver sighed. "Ever since then I vowed that if I was blessed to be given another chance to have a mate, that I would do whatever it takes to protect her, to love her, and to let her know that I would never hurt her."

"Daddy-"

"I love you, Veronica. I just want to protect you. So please, no more wandering around by yourself or at least let me know where you're going."

"Yes, Daddy," she smiled before placing a kiss on his lips.