Ch. 4 - It's Just A Matter of Time, Before...

Friday afternoon you walked into your study hall period and Dave was waiting for you, just as he had every day that week.

"Hey there princess" He says with his million watt smile and you grin back.

"Seriously Dave, please call me Julia. Princess is getting creepy." You laugh and he shrugs.

"It perfectly describes you, Julia." He replies, emphasizing your real name and you stick your tongue out at him.

"Very, very unladylike" He chastises, shaking his head disdainfully.

"That's me!" You reply, pulling out your history textbook, a notebook, and some writing utensils.

"So what are your plans tonight? Is there a big game or something?" He asks poking you in the arm with the highlighter you had just set out.

"No, the basketball game is tomorrow night. We just have a really important practice tonight, it's going to be my first varsity game so its sort of a big deal." You shrug.

"Uh huh, and what are you doing after practice?" He asks and your mind starts working a million miles a minute, yet you can't seem to get any words out.

"Um. . .nothing to my knowledge" You respond lamely, "Christie wanted us to get to bed early, get a good night's sleep for tomorrow."

"Well what Christie doesn't know won't hurt her" He whispers conspiratorially and you feel yourself blush again, "Well Christie among other people." He adds as an afterthought and you both know he meant Drew.

"What are you doing tonight?" You ask, trying to probe him along to whatever he had been hinting at.

"Well my band has a slot opening at the 9:30 Club in the city...its sort of a big deal. I know its sounds sort of lame but we need all the fans we can get, I thought maybe I could drive you down and buy you dinner and pay for your ticket and stuff"

"Like a date?" You whisper.

"Not if you don't want it to be, it can just be as friends." He says calmly and you don't know what to say. You know what you want to say and you know what you should say but you can't decide which feeling is going to win this time.

"I have a boyfriend already Dave." You say in an even lower whisper and he blushes slightly pink.

"Then it isn't a date" He says with a shrug, reaching down to tie his sneaker.

"But I think I want it to be" You say, trying to sound confident but hearing your own voice shake.

He smiles widely at your words and takes your hand underneath the table, "I want it to be too" He says back and you feel yourself blush.

3 Hours Later

"Damn, I thought that would never end. We really gotta get going" Dave says as you walk out of cheerleading practice.

"Can we stop at my house first, I have to change before we go." You say and you're surprised when he shakes his head.

"Nah, don't stress about it" He says and you roll your eyes.

"Dave I can't wear my cheerleading uniform to the 9:30 Club! It would be mortifying!" You exclaim.

"I've got it covered! I talked to one of my friends, she's about your size and she's going to bring some stuff for you to change into."

"Its not anything too revealing right?" You ask timidly and he laughs as he pulls out of the parking lot.

"I told her a little about you, she's not going to put you in anything crazy, no hemlines shorter than this outfit I promise" He says barely brushing the spot on your thigh where your cheerleading skirt fell.

You immediately tense up and you feel goosebumps where his hand was moments before.

"Sorry" He says immediately snapping his hand away.

"That's alright" You respond, looking out the window.

The next few minutes are silent and you watch the trees go by on the side of the highway.

"So what kind of music does your band play?" You ask in an attempt to break the silence.

"Um, well punk music—hardcore punk." Dave says awkwardly and you can't hide your surprise.

"Oh well, what does that sound like exactly?" You try to sound polite but you know you sound almost scared.

"Hardcore. Its really fast and loud and just totally bat shit!" He says with a huge smile, "You'll like it, I can guarantee it."

"Ok, if you say so I'll trust you. . .I'm worried but I'll trust you" You say with a deep breath.

"You might be a little scared but it'll be fine by the end of the night. You'll fall in love with punk, and they'll love you. All the guys know a little bit about you" Dave says, looking over at you.

"Oh you've been talking to them about me? What have you been saying?" You tease, hoping he'll at least blush but he keeps his cool.

"They just wanted to know reason I was so good at calculating how much money we were each gonna make tonight, and I told them it was because I had a killer math tutor now." He responds.

"I'm your geometry tutor, you'd be better of calculating the size of the venue and how many people you can let in before you have to start turning fans away at the door." You say and Dave rolls his eyes.

"One day, maybe." He says, turning onto a side street and putting the car into park, "But on that note, we're here."

"This doesn't look like a club?" You say as he walks around to your door and opens

"Its not it's my friend Amy's apartment. She's got clothes for you"

"Oh perfect, I really want to get out of this uniform to be honest" You say and he raises his eyebrows and makes a funny face.

"I think we all want that" He teases and you playfully punch him in the stomach.

"Just get me new clothes" You sigh and he laughs to himself as he presses the apartment's buzzer.