Ch. 35 - Looking For a Sign of Life

"I know Mike, I'll do that first thing tomorrow" You say to your boss. You were over an hour into a work function for your law firm to celebrate an important new client and had been cornered for the majority of the time you'd spent there.

Michael, the firm's head partner and the main person you needed to impress in order to get the promotion you wanted, takes his drink from the bartender and shakes his head.

"Nonsense Ms. Maxwell. Tomorrow is Saturday, check Monday" He says and you force your smile. You knew no matter what he says he won't be impressed unless the report is sitting on his desk when he comes into work Monday morning.

"Whatever you say Mike" You reply before excusing yourself to go to the bathroom.

When you get inside you are greeted by three of the interns gossiping by the sinks. You say hello to each other politely but don't join the conversation, instead choosing to eavesdrop while you splashed cold water on your face.

"Who is he here with though?" One of them says and another answers,

"I don't know, I think the new paralegal—Caroline? Colleen? Claire?"

"Can you believe it though, like he's an actual rock star" Another says and suddenly you listen a little closer, it couldn't be him though, it would be too crazy.

"I know! He's so cute—and have you seen the video for Everlong? He's really funny too" Your heartbeat starts to quicken at the mention of the song, your fear was realized.

"Shit" You murmur, rushing out of the bathroom with your head down. You try to locate him quickly in order to know where not to go and of course immediately make eye contact with him.

He looks shocked but not as shocked as you know you look, leading you to believe he knew that you at least might be there. He does a little wave and you immediately look away, turning back towards one of the other partners at the firm and talking to her about her new baby.

You talk to her for a good half hour until you absolutely need a new drink. Even though you'd been able to avoid Dave thus far, the mere fact that he was here had you on the brink of a panic attack. You needed something to calm you down.

As you reach the bar you nearly jump out of your skin when you realize Dave is the only other person also there.

"We have to stop meeting like this" He says with a smirk and you choose to ignore him.

"Can I have a gin martini, with an olive" You say to the bartender.

"Hmm, I see your drink of choice has changed." He comments and even though you aren't looking at him you can tell he's grinning at you, "Too 'sophisticated' for a cheap beer or a shot of whiskey these days princess?"

"Why are you here?" You ask, suddenly fed up and he looks shocked that you actually responded.

"I'm on a date" He says defensively, holding his hands up.

"You know I work here Dave, you have to know that. I've had a job at this firm since 1994" You say passive-aggressively.

"Calm down Julia" He says ordering himself a beer, "So how have you been?"

"That's what you're going with, you haven't seen me in years and you just want to ask me how I've been?"

"Is there something else you'd rather I ask?" He says, raising an eyebrow and you blush.

"This is my job. I can't do this right now. I seriously can't believe you are here" You say angrily, "Where is your date?"

"Have a drink with me, please" He says and you feel as though this isn't real. Its so insanely surreal that he's here, at a party for a law firm he knew you worked at after four plus years of radio silence. It almost felt like a dream.