Ch. 8 - No Way Back From Here

"Dave come on, we have to focus! The test is tomorrow" You squeal as Dave throws a paper airplane towards you.

"Come on, can't we have a break? I think I deserve one, I just did a whole practice test!" He laments and you roll your eyes.

"Dave you answered one question—correctly I will admit—then proceeded to get two questions wrong, then drew pictures instead of answering the other seven questions."

"Yeah but I had an answer for each one. I wrote something in every answer section." He counters with a stupid grin and you can't help but laugh.

"Answers have to come in numbers not pictures!" You say through your giggles.

"Its geometry, I have to draw fucking shapes for half the answers anyway" He yells and the librarian shushes you angrily.

"Watch your language young man" She scolds and when she turns around Dave sticks his tongue out at her and gives her the finger. Unfortunately for Dave there was a window right in front of her and she could see the whole thing in the reflection.

"Both of you out! Now!" She yells pointing to the door and you waste no time getting your stuff together and rushing out of the library.

It had been a week since the show you two went to and you'd become closer ever since then. Dave was so different from all of your friends and you also didn't mind the mild flirtation you had going on.

"What was up her ass?" Dave jokes as you walk out to the fields behind the school.

"She's like seventy-five Dave!" You exclaim.

"Well whatever it is must've been up there for a long time then" He jokes and you just roll your eyes and try to stifle your laughter.

"Hey, D" Yells a voice from the parking lot and you see one of Dave's dealer friends walking towards you.

"Hey Tom, what's up?" He asks as the other guy comes closer.

"I have something for you" He says with a cough and Dave nods knowingly. He pulls out a couple bills and gives them to his friend.

"Thanks dude. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to see you before weekend, thank god you found me" Dave says, grabbing a paper bag from the guy and throwing it in his backpack. They exchange a final wave before you walk the other way.

"Did you just...did you just make a drug deal?" You whisper as you walk back towards the parking lot.

"Chill out narc, don't act like you've never seen this before" He says with a laugh before he sees your expression, "Wait have you really never seen this before?"

You shrug.

"Come on, you're part of the jocks, your boyfriend's on the basketball team—I know for a fact Tom's sold to him before. You've never smoked?" He asks, looking half shocked half amused.

"No...I was always younger than all my friends, they treated me like a baby" You respond.

"Do you wanna try it?" He asks with a mischievous grin.

Ten minutes later you're sitting in the front seat of Dave's car.

"How have I never done this before?" You say, before passing the joint Dave had carefully rolled for the two of you back to him.

"I don't know, but I think its working for you" Dave gives you a relaxed smile, "Maybe too much—I think you're good enough for a rookie. That'll be your last hit. I don't need you getting too out of control on my watch."

"If you insist" You reply in a sing-song voice, twisting around in your seat.

"You look cute high" He observes and you blush.